Topic: Mercury M3 front brake shoe and wheel cylinder

Mercman    -- 09-03-2023 @ 1:51 PM
  I own a 1951 Mercury M3 (1 ton). I'm currently replacing the front brake shoes and cylinders.

I am trying to determine the correct orientation (position) of the shoes for my front brakes. For this discussion, I will refer to the left front (driver's side) wheel only. The Shop Manual, Page 215 Figure 6 shows the primary shoe is located on the left of the diagram's wheel and the secondary (short liner shoe) is on the right. The wheel cylinder has two piston sizes: the larger piston size is on the left against the primary shoe and the small half of the wheel cyliner is on the right against the secondary shoe. The diagram fails me because it doesn't show either the forward rotation of the wheel, or whether it is the left front or the right front wheel, so I can't tell where the primary shoe should be placed.

Moreover, in reading various forums (not EFV8 ones) I read that there is a huge amount of misinformation about the correct terminology of "primary shoe" and "secondary shoe" with respect to whether the long-lined shoe is primary or the secondary. The Shop Manual indicates the primary shoe is activated by the large piston... and, to me that seems correct.

If that's the case (primary shoe activated by the large piston) then that diagram would be the left front wheel with the primary shoe on the front, not the rear, and the rotation would be counter-clockwise (for that diagram). This is very confusing because I am told by a very experienced Early Ford restorer that the primary shoe (with longest liner of 11 1/2") should always be mounted on the rear of the assembly because that's where it does the most work. But if that is the case, the primary shoe that does the most work would be activated by the smallest piston. This contradicts the Shop Manual diagram! Which way is correct? What is the absolute correct Ford design intention? What is the correct orientation of that Shop Manual Page 215, Fig 6 diagram?

What does the Early Ford V8 Technical Advisor say about this, please?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=21&Topic=16646