Topic: Battery Gauges on a 12volt system

Mercman    -- 08-14-2023 @ 7:41 PM
  I have a '51 Merc M3 pickup which is running the original flathead 255 cuin engine, a modern alternator and the original gauges. The lights have been converted to 12volts. The gauges are connected as follows:

1. My gas gauge runs off a small firewall-mounted 12-to-6 volt stepdown transformer and runs perfectly and accurately.

2. My oil gauge reads low but I don't know how to make it read accurately. Oil pressure while in operation is about 60 psi but the original gauge reads about 15 psi. I know this because I mounted an after-market gauge. I've never figured out how to make the original oil gauge indicate the real pressure. How do I do that?

3. The battery gauge is dead. It doesn't move. The original feed wire runs through the original little coil but there's no movement no matter what the engine is doing. How do I make this gauge work and read accurately on my 12v system?

Can anyone provide some helpful guidance, please?

carcrazy    -- 08-14-2023 @ 11:20 PM
  To get your oil pressure gauge to read properly with the 12V system you will have to install a "Runtz" transistorized voltage reducer on the original electrical dash gauge. There are two different oil pressure sending units available for mounting in your engine - be sure you have the correct one for your application. One sender is marked "50" and the other is marked "80". Your vehicle most likely should have the sender marked "80". "Runtz" voltage reducers are available from several vendors. One of these is Fifth Avenue Antique Auto Parts - www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com

What kind of "battery gauge" do you have? Is it an ammeter or a voltmeter? If it is an ammeter, you simply have to reverse the wires going to the measuring element of the gauge because of your change from positive ground to negative ground.

Mercman    -- 09-03-2023 @ 1:27 PM
  Thanks very much, Car Crazy. I'll source out the Runtz voltage reducer. I'll also check to see what type of battery gauge I have.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=21&Topic=16610