Topic: 32-33 Cast aluminum V8 oil pan

1932BB    -- 01-18-2010 @ 8:34 AM
  The oil pan has four "tabs" on the inside, two on each side, about half way down, that have vertical holes in them, it looks like a windage pan or splash pan may have been mounted there. Any info on this subject would be helpful. Thanks!

1932BB    -- 01-25-2010 @ 8:29 AM
  OK, I will reply to my own question, hopefully to "prime the pump." In the Chassis Parts List book June 1937 on page 64 it lists 18-6688A Tray (oil pan)use with 18-6675A and lists the year as 32 only. I'm assuming the A is an aluminum oil pan. The 18-6675B is noted as a steel oil pan also for 1932 (there goes my assumption). The problem I'm having with this book is that it doesn't always list discontinued parts leaving questions. I plan on ordering the 32 Ford book and hope it can clear up similar questions. Is there any hope of finding such an item even if I am sure what I am looking for? I bought a BB with what I was hoping was an original 32 but it turned out to be a model 68 with all the 32 parts attached (exhaust manifolds, intake, etc. Still not a bad find. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Grant    -- 01-25-2010 @ 10:28 AM
  You might try speaking to Don Gibson in Campbellville, Ontario. He has a '32 Fordor under restoration which, I think, is partially disassembled.

Don is on page 163 of the EFV8 roster.

If you don't have a roster, email me at flatheadfleming@hotmail.com and I'll ask Don if it's okay to give you his phone number

3w2    -- 01-25-2010 @ 9:42 PM
  1932BB,

The new '32 book will help as it describes the three different oil pan trays used with the various aluminum oil pans used on '32 V-8s as well as the unique one used on the late steel pan, whose part number was 18-6775-B. The three trays are different from one another as follows:

- the first version was only used on very early V-8 engines which had the oil level indicator (dip stick) on the right side of the block back near the flywheel housing.

- the second version was used when the dipstick was moved to the left side of the engine and its opening incorporated into the aluminum pan. The version was used only briefly and only with the early oil pump which had no pickup tube.

- the third version (and most likely the one that you want given the late release of V-8s in trucks) incorporates the dipstick opening in the left side of the pan, like the second version, but it was used with the later oil pump (with a pickup tube) and has, therefore, a slot to clear that tube that extends at a diagonal from the rear of the tray forward about half way.

All four of the above trays have three vertical baffles spot welded to the bottom of the horzontal tray to limit the movement of the oil in the pan.

As you surmise, the tray is attached to the aluminum pan with four machine screws (#12-20 x 1/2) and lock washers. The 18-6675-B tray snaps into slots pressed into the sides of the steel oil pan.

Why each of the three trays did not have unique part numbers is a bit of a mystery as they are not especially interchangeable.

I can't provide a photo of the tray you are looking for until Spring, which isn't much help, but I'd be glad to do so if you haven't found one by then.

Dave Rehor

P.S. The '32 Ford that Don Gibson is working on is a four-cylinder which has its own unique snap-in tray for its steel oil pan.

1932BB    -- 01-26-2010 @ 12:15 PM
  Thanks for the information! The pan in question is most likely #2 as it has the dipstick opening in the pan and the oil pump has a pickup tube. Since it was on a model 68 LB block, the windage pan had to be removed to fit the oil pump possibly. I do not believe that the truck was originally fitted with a V8 as it is a dump truck and it also had a car grill sh*ll. No doubt something put together of desperation and junkyard parts in the U.P. I probably am looking for a windage pan to fit oil pan #3 to clear the pump pickup. Just bought your book! I'm sure it will answer many more questions. My 32BB flatbed (4cyl) is in the Truck Gallery!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=641