Topic: 1932 FORD TORQUE SPECS

woodiewagon46    -- 05-09-2013 @ 1:41 PM
  What are the torque specs for the intake manifold for a 1932 Ford V-8.

Stroker    -- 05-15-2013 @ 3:58 PM
  Woodiewagon: I'm sure you are wondering why your question is sort of "floating" out in no-man's land. I'd guess that there are very few members who own 32's with the original block/manifold combination, and of course Ford didn't publish torque spec's back then. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the use of a torque wrench, but "back in the day" they simply were not used. Mechanics were trained to tighten a given size of fastener "just right" so as not to strip the threads out of the block. I use a torque wrench especially on newer stuff that relies upon a given torque+degrees beyond that to properly impart the calculated stretch of the fastener. The cap screws holding your intake down over the soft gasket only needs to be tightened in a logical sequence (working out from the center) in small increments to effectively seal any vacuum leaks. Mac Van Pelt lists 23-28 foot pounds as a reference, but does not discriminate between aluminum and iron intakes. I am installing an original 38 aluminum intake on my 38, and plan upon torquing it at 25 foot pounds, in 5 lb increments, working my way out from the center.

woodiewagon46    -- 05-16-2013 @ 1:53 PM
  Thanks Stroker, I wondered why I couldn't find a spec in any of my literature>

supereal    -- 05-18-2013 @ 10:45 AM
  Ford was noted for lack of available information on torque readings, etc. When I was a mechanic at a Ford garage, we never saw a torque wrench. Heads were tighted with a long "T" handled extension. We learned to do it as we gained experience. It must have worked, because we had very few problems. Today, torque and "twist to give" specs are very important in newer applications, particularly with the advent of aluminum head and blocks.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=6015