Topic: 1932 deuce gas tank and coil

ecsmit4    -- 11-26-2012 @ 11:20 AM
  1932 3-Window V8. My goal is to get this judged at Hershey. Currently it is in dire need of a gas tank and coil - original as possible. I can put classifieds everywhere. There are a lot of people willing to sell me all kinds of pieces and parts. I live in Northern Maryland. I guess I'm looking for several things. Someone to trust with honest parts and someone who can look at the finished car and tell me when it's ready to take to Hershey and not get embarassed. You folks appear to know your stuff. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

trjford8    -- 11-26-2012 @ 5:13 PM
  If you are a V-8 Club member use your roster and call Elton Hunt in Ohio. He has many 32's and probably some parts. Good honest guy and if he does not have the part he probably knows someone who may have it.

CharlieStephens    -- 11-26-2012 @ 6:16 PM
  You might get a good first cut by posting several pictures here and on fordbarn.com and asking for comments. Include your serial number with the last three digits XXX'd out since some things are date sensitive (an example might be that the horn is late, do other things on the vehicle match the late date?). Of course you can't believe all of the responses but they should point you in the right direction. After a while you will come to know which people to believe. From the picture you posted I think your frame above the running board and below the body should be black and your pin stripe looks a little wide (I will leave that one to the experts). Are the whitewalls white on both sides? Do you have a copy of "The 1932 Ford Book"? You will probably find that judging at Hershey is not as harsh as at a V8 Club national meet.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 11-26-12 @ 8:09 PM

3w2    -- 11-26-2012 @ 9:59 PM
  I second Charlie's comments and add that the radiator cap is on backwards. In Club judging, the tassle on the rear window shade would likely be noted as incorrect, but likely not be noticed at Hershey. The same goes for the sagging outside door handle.

If you do post more photos, please consider posting some of both sides of the engine compartment and the interior.

Dave Rehor

ecsmit4    -- 11-29-2012 @ 3:43 AM
  Thank you for the comments. I currently have very few pictures. The ones I do have were taken last week when the car was uncovered for the first time in many, many years. It belonged to my uncle David J. Smith. I helped him work on it 35 or more years ago. He died 11 years ago and was very sick for a great while before that.

A long time ago, this car was on the cover of a magazine called V8 Times with a story. It was also the car that the Franklin Mint used to make it's model. I've seen the paperwork and the magazine in the files.

It was my uncle's dream to put the car on the stage at Hershey. He died without doing that. I'd like to do that for him, in his name. Any help or advice in that direction would be a great help.

I'll be bringing the car to my garage soon to start cleaning it to see just what I have to do. Since I'm new at this it is going to be quite a chalenge. There should be lots of pics and lots of questions.

I have Mr. Hunt's name, address, and phone number in Kent, Ohio. I will follow up with him later today. Thank you all.

ecsmit4    -- 11-29-2012 @ 3:45 AM
  One more ...

trjford8    -- 11-29-2012 @ 7:17 AM
  That looks like a nice old 3 window. I would also suggest that you purchase the V-8 Club's '32 book to help you fix those issues that are not correct.

CharlieStephens    -- 11-29-2012 @ 8:30 AM
  You probably already know this but since it is so important I will risk repeating it. This is something that we didn’t fully appreciate in the past. It seems that tires that are over about 10 years old (or less depending on who you talk to) are not safe for anything else except moving around the garage and maybe a few low speed, in town trips. The tires on your car appear almost new but be sure to consider the age factor on them before you take them on the open road. I look forward to more pictures.

Charlie Stephens

ecsmit4    -- 11-29-2012 @ 9:58 AM
  My understanding was that something in the transmission and something on the engine got stuck together and it took a very long time to get them apart. My uncle decided to keep the clutch engaged to stop that from happening again - hence the piece of wood.

ecsmit4    -- 11-29-2012 @ 10:00 AM
  The other side

ecsmit4    -- 11-29-2012 @ 10:09 AM
  My last pic

3w2    -- 11-29-2012 @ 8:50 PM
  First and foremost is a thorough cleaning to rid the car of a lot of mold and accumulated dirt. There's a fair amount of touch up paint required here and there on the chassis and engine compartment, but nothing major in the photos you've posted so far. Once that's done, I doubt if you'd embarass yourself at Hershey or any other AACA national meet. Notwithstanding, I recommend that you replace the non-Ford carburetor and fuel line to the carburetor from the fuel pump as well as the non-original swing arms on the windshield frame, and acquire a pair of door sill moldings.

If you want to show it at a V-8 Club national meet, which I recommend, some further changes would likely be in order.

I've just finished restoring a '32 deluxe coupe and I'd be happy to assist you achieve your laudable objective.

ecsmit4    -- 11-30-2012 @ 4:00 AM
  That is a very beautiful car. To achieve something like that would be wonderful.

The more I see and hear - I'm beginning to realize - well, lets just say it's very humbling. I can use the help.

And, thank you, thank you very much.

jim5618    -- 01-01-2013 @ 4:53 PM
  I also got my 32 (tudor) from My Uncle. You have a very nice car already. If you PM me I can point you to some good sources of information. Dave is the 32 expert. He and Charlie have been great resources for me. I am in Bethesda Maryland and there are a bunch of 32 owners in the local area. Also there is a regional group that meets in Sunshine, MD.

What is the issue with the gas tank?

jim5618    -- 01-15-2013 @ 9:14 PM
  Don't know if you are still looking here, but there is a nice looking tank in the classified section here.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=5465