Topic: Door dovetail (male) for B82 truck cab

1932BB    -- 09-12-2012 @ 8:19 AM
  The dovetails available from a popular supplier are not up to the task. They are made of very thin metal and don't last very long. I have installed a rusty original dovetail, it is made of much thicker material and works fine. Wish I had another. Does anyone know if there are repro dovetails that are made of substantial materials like the originals?

supereal    -- 09-12-2012 @ 9:49 AM
  The male dovetails for your '32 truck are listed by C&G (800/266-0470) as item # B-46421-A. The usual problem with excessive wear of dovetails is a sagging or misaligned door. Due to the weight of the door, and the force required to get it shut and latched, the dovetail can rapidly wear, Check for worn hinge pins. There should be no discernable play. Sometimes we have to alter the dovetail mounting screw holes, or shim the whole assembly to get it lined up with the receiving part.

3w2    -- 09-12-2012 @ 8:17 PM
  The male dovetails offered by A&L Parts Specialties, Canton, CT (860 693-0112) are excellent reproductions and appear to be made from the same gauge steel as the originals. They offer both the normal and offset versions in the correct nickel plating.

1932BB    -- 09-29-2012 @ 6:56 AM
  3w2
Thanks for the tip! I was not aware of A&L. On my first call I asked for a Model B part and was told A&L only provides Model A parts. I ordered a pair from another supplier and was again disappointed. Doing further research I found that B82 closed cab dovetails are the same as the rear door dovetails on Model A slant windshield sedans! I ordered two (one offset) and found that the guage of the metal appears more substantial than original. Even though the drivers door has good shut lines, the offset (dovetail slightly higher) lines up perfectly! (cont.)

1932BB    -- 09-29-2012 @ 7:07 AM
  (cont.) I am surprised at the lack of forward and back racking resistance of the Budd built B 82 cab. This is likely a reason for cowl cracks and top of A pillar cracks in early cabs. I have omitted the springs on the rear mounting bolts as an experiment. In any case, dovetails probably act as dampers to the racking action by their triangulation with the door hinges.

32v8    -- 10-30-2013 @ 10:01 PM
  Someone makes billet stainless dovetails for 32 Ford. Sorry I don't recall the name but I'd search on Ford Barn. They are a bit pricy, $50. each comes to mind.

The aftermarket ones I have purchased leave a great deal to be desired so I had mine chromed.

Hope this helps.

Jack

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=5185