Topic: Passenger side engine splash pan for 32 BB

1932BB    -- 01-15-2012 @ 1:25 PM
  I was contacted by a member who saw my want add for the above item. He removed both engine splash pans from a 32 BB for use on a 32 car some time ago and found that the left side ESP was different on the BB but the pass side seemed to be identical to the car pass side ESP. He provided several pictures and from what I could see he appers to have a good point. His motivation for supplying the info is to help me possibly widen my search and increse the probability of finding the part. I am grateful for his assistance and look forward to any additional information!

jim5618    -- 01-16-2012 @ 12:12 PM
  In case you don't have the book, the book says the same pans were used for passenger and commercial chasis, but it also mentions the "Also unique were the four-cylinder engine splash pans used on 131 1/2" and 157" wheelbase trucks." Mine off my Tudor are exactly like the pic in the book and are out if you need measurements to see if it is the same.

1932BB    -- 01-16-2012 @ 4:52 PM
  Yes I have the 1932 Ford book and consult it often. Great book! I wish I had it throughout the restoration. I am concerned with the "Also unique" sentence however. The left pan I know is unique to the big trucks because of the depth of the depression for the steering column light switch and possibly also because of the "fin" on the inboard edge. The fin is 2 3/8 high at the rear of the pan possibly to compensate for the frame that decends to a 7 inch depth near the A pillar. Can you check your left hand pan "fin" height and get back to me? I'm wondering if the right hand BB pan has the same sort of modification to make it fit more closely near the base of the engine block (oil pan flange). The BB frame and car frame are very similar in the front except for a steeper slant on the bottom of the frame rail. Thanks for your offer of assistance!

3w2    -- 01-16-2012 @ 7:44 PM
  The December, 1932 chassis parts catalogue lists a unique right-hand pan (BB-6775) for the BB four-cylinder chassis, as well as a unique pan for the left side (BB-6776). It turns out that this is a bit misleading. I checked the original engineering drawings and releases today and indeed there was a unique BB-6775 pan, but it was designed to be used with the firewall-mounted oil bath air cleaner (BB-9625) shown in the July, 1932 "Ford Service Bulletin", which interfered with a normal right-hand engine splash pan. The normal right-hand pan used on the BB 4-cylinder chassis was indeed the same as that used on passenger and commercial chassis, namely B-6775.

All of the above pertains only to LHD chassis.

I will include this information in the next round of "Additions and Corrections" to the book.

Dave

This message was edited by 3w2 on 1-16-12 @ 7:46 PM

1932BB    -- 01-17-2012 @ 7:47 AM
  Many thanks for looking into the original engineering drawings and releases for me! Your dedication to the subject and service to members is admirable!

jim5618    -- 01-17-2012 @ 9:54 AM
  I just sprayed mine this morning, but will post some dimensions as soon as it is dry enough to touch

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=4228