Topic: recommendations for reference books.

jim5618    -- 11-23-2010 @ 10:24 AM
  I have the 1932 ford book. I was wondering what other shop type manuals are worth getting. There looks to be a lot of reproduced stuff out there and I don't want to get a bunch of junk. I am mainly looking for basic repair manual type documents. how ot rebuild a carb for example...

ford38v8    -- 11-23-2010 @ 8:27 PM
  Jim, Ford Service Bulletins are good, and available in reprint from the usual suspects. Also excellent is MotoRs Manuals, but unfortunately, they go back only to 1935, so they would be of limited value to you. Sorry I can't help you further.

Alan

CharlieStephens    -- 11-23-2010 @ 8:51 PM
  Jim,

I can't put my finger on the name of the book (there may be a couple of them) but go to the Model A section of fordbarn.com and post your question. There is a book on rebuilding the Model A carburetors that also covers the Model B's. Any other examples?

Charlie Stephens

jim5618    -- 06-21-2011 @ 7:38 AM
  Anyone have a good source for directions for rebuilding 32 fuel pumps or distributors? The service manual doesn't have a lot of detail. For example how does the diaphram come off? do the disks seperate some how?

3w2    -- 06-21-2011 @ 9:07 PM
  Jim,

I suspect that no other source would give you as much information about the '32 fuel pumps and how to rebuild them than the 5-page treatise on the subject beginning on page 84 of the December, 1932 "Ford Service Bulletin". There are exploded illustrations of every part of both the upper and lower portions of the pump and instructions covering both the disassembly and assembly of the pumps.

Apart from thorough cleaning and replacement of obviously worn parts like the rocker arm and the pin that it pivots on, the secret to a good rebuild is a diaphragm made of modern material that will stand up to today's gasoline ingredients and a serious gasket between the top cover and the upper body of the pump.

Dave

jim5618    -- 06-22-2011 @ 11:28 AM
  Dave,

I am in the process of getting the service manuals. I am mainly trying to figure out how the diaphram comes off and goes on.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=2223