Topic: Can a Replacement Front Cross Member be riveted in

jerseyboy    -- 09-20-2010 @ 6:00 PM
  My wagon has a replacement front cross member bolted in. Can I rivet it in instead? The bolts are not flush, so the fenders don't fit well.

Thanks,

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!

trjford8    -- 09-21-2010 @ 7:41 AM
  You should be able to rivet it in. Check with a company called "Big Flats Rivet Company" or with Roy Nacewicz at; www.fordbolts.com.

FAR32    -- 10-05-2010 @ 10:39 AM
  I have used socket head flat head screws. You have to bevel the holes a little but they do not push up the fenders. If you put a dab of bondo in the hex, they are almost impossible to tell from rivets. You have to reach around and feel the nuts. I use carrage bolts on the sides to mimic round head rivets.

ford38v8    -- 10-05-2010 @ 8:04 PM
  FAR32, Your method may well be sufficient to fool a Concourse Judge, but I'd think not good enough to fool potholes and railroad tracks. There is enough twist in the strongest of frames to work nuts and bolts and elongate the holes they are in. Old Henry used rivets for this reason to expand into and remove all clearance in the holes.

Alan

FAR32    -- 10-10-2010 @ 5:19 PM
  I understand your concern. All I can ad is that I have used this method for years in my modified car. I have 137,000 on it now and have not cracked the paint around bolts. I am running without fenders so inspection is easy. Works for me. I think most all 32's now have bolted in crossmembers due to cracking in the center and the replacement with Model A crossmembers. I am sure a lot are bolted but a lot are welded. I would rather use the existing holes with bolting and not weld anything.

jerseyboy    -- 10-11-2010 @ 5:48 PM
  Thanks for all the suggestions.

I emailed Dave R. and he suggested I rivet in the cross member. He thought it would be much stronger and the fenders would fit better as well!

I guess if I counter sunk a bolt , that would work as well. But i have heard many recommend rivets.

Now I just have to learn haw to rivet!

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=1892