Topic: 1932 Front Hub Grease Seals Part Number B-1190

1932b5Wc    -- 02-22-2023 @ 7:58 PM
  New in the club today. I have a 32 model b all original. Was restored by someone else and completed in 1992. The NOS odometer reads 4200 miles. I put on 1900 trouble free miles in the last 19 years that I have owned the car. Just this last summer front left brake was sticking. Removed front drums and found grease had gotten by inner seal on left and right side. Looking at the replacement seal B-1190 online it appears that the ribs on the outside of this seal are supposed to ride against inside of brake drum and keep bearing grease from escaping. If anyone else with experience with this problem could share it would be most appreciated. Is this a good, efficient way to keep the grease in place? It appears that the seal is formed with metal on metal? Is there a better or improved way to make this seal? I was hoping to do what is needed just once and have this issue solved for a good long time.

3w2    -- 02-23-2023 @ 8:37 PM
  The '32-'34 front wheel grease seals are all steel and not really seals in the usual sense, but more like baffles to prevent the grease from escaping within their confines in a last ditch effort. They do not touch the inside of the drums. If they did, they would not do so for very long as they or the drum would wear rapidly from the metal-to-metal contact.

Grease contamination of the front brakes is not common and when it occurs it is usually the result of having too much grease in the drum between the inner and outer bearings. Depending on the viscosity of the grease, centrifugal force from the rotation of the wheels will force the grease both outwards and inwards with the latter being highly undesirable.

You'll have to replace your front wheel brake linings as once contaminated, they are compromised and cannot be reliably cleansed of the grease that they have absorbed.

1932b5Wc    -- 02-24-2023 @ 11:12 AM
  Thank you very much for your help. I am finding it difficult to find the original woven brake linings for 32 ford. Would it be a reasonable option to have my steel shoes relined by a shop that would use more modern material on the shoes? Would the original brake drum be compatible with a newer type lining? I would not want to wear the original drums prematurely as new or good used drums are not easy to find.

3w2    -- 02-24-2023 @ 4:06 PM
  Yes, finding either front or rear brake drums that are still within the limits of usability is becoming increasingly challenging and woven linings are in the same boat. The linings do turn up from time to time on ebay and also on the swap meet section of fordbarn.com. Ultimately, molded linings will be our only choice. To the best of my knowledge, no one has reproduced woven linings and it is perhaps just as well as I believe that they do contain asbestos.

1932b5Wc    -- 02-24-2023 @ 5:25 PM
  Do you know what the maximum useable diameter can be for 32 brake drums? I have read 12.060 inches as well as 12.090 inches. Certainly want to be running safe.

3w2    -- 02-27-2023 @ 5:44 AM
  The 12.060" figure is from the period Service Bulletins, but 12.090" is still considered by many to be safe.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=16257