Topic: 6 volt led tail lamps

MICHV8    -- 08-11-2022 @ 1:28 PM
  With all the texting instead of driving, I'd like my brakes to light up a little brighter...are there any 6 volt LED tail lamp kits available?
Thanks for any ideas

3w2    -- 08-11-2022 @ 1:55 PM
  LED bulbs are available that fit the original sockets. You'll need to compare the lumen rating of those available compared to the incandescent bulbs and also be mindful that some LED bulbs cannot be used in enclosed fixtures.

same    -- 08-11-2022 @ 2:37 PM

michv8,you might think about installing the led brake-lighter. right away i could tell the difference after putting one in the split window of my '37 fordor. its at least 3 or 4 ft. higher than the orig taillights. most distracted people are tailgaiters as well them being so close no longer can see the old low tail lights. little more involved than just twisting in an led tail light bulb wich may not work anyway if you have turn sig incorperated in tail lamps. i also have those reynolds cupcake liners in the tail buckets- bright. Tom.

CharlieStephens    -- 08-11-2022 @ 4:35 PM
  If you haven't already painted the inside of the buckets white you should do so.

Charlie Stephens

trjford8    -- 08-11-2022 @ 4:47 PM
  I have found that LED tail lamps do not improve your lighting much if used with stock tail light lenses. Use your old tail lights and make sure your tail lights have a good ground and paint the insides white. Some people also take the reflector out of an old flashlight and slip it over the bulb socket. If you are going to purchase LED lamps buy the ones that are self contained with the lens part of the light unit. They are the ones that work the best and give the brightest light.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 8-11-22 @ 4:50 PM

TomO    -- 08-17-2022 @ 2:10 PM
  Tom, I don't know when you last tested LED taillight or stop light bulbs, but the ones that I put in my Mercury are at least 2x as bright as the stock bulbs with flashlight reflectors. They were much more expensive than most LED bulbs but I feel that they are worth it. As far as I know the LED lens combination is only available in 12V

Tom

trjford8    -- 08-18-2022 @ 7:54 AM
  Tom, thanks for the info on the LED bulbs. It's been a while since I tested them. I tried them on a '48 and found it did not work using the stock tailamp lens, but they did work good on the clear parking lamp lens. I'll try some on my '40 where I have painted the insides white and added a reflector.

MICHV8    -- 09-07-2023 @ 7:44 AM
  I bought the suggested third light for the rear window and it works great.
Thanks for the tip.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=15868