Topic: 32 five windo rumble lid

paxton    -- 05-22-2022 @ 5:52 AM
  I recently purchased a Henry coupe with rumble seat and note that when closed the lid sits lower into the body at the hinge area. That is to say below the belt molding significantly. The 32 Book shows the deck lid raised up closer to the belt line. I also noted the book showing coupe and roadster using different hinges but mine look like the coupe hinges. The upright 1/4 braces also looks original with original looking rivets, so I doubt if the pivot point is wrong. I even examined the possibility of a rear collision that has somehow pushed the 1/4 panels out of place. I also thought maybe the lid had been re-arched or possibly a model A lid. The lid does operate well with the deck lid handle fitting and latching fine. Idears appreciated.

3w2    -- 05-23-2022 @ 6:04 PM
  It's difficult to say for certain if your hinges are the B-41546/7 variety or the B-47430/31 variety from your photos. Nearly all of the originals have cast-in part numbers so it is worth double checking that they are the latter version. You need not disassemble them to verify the part numbers as you can do that by feel even if the part number is facing outward. Assuming that they are the B-47... variety the next step is to verify that each is on the side of the rumble lid where it belongs because the two arms of the hinges are almost the same length, but not quite. Consulting the part numbers on the arms, the hinge for the right side of the rumble lid should end in 30 and that for the left side (facing forward) should end in 31. If not, they are upside down and that would account for the condition you have described. In other words, someone along the way switched sides for the hinges; correct hinges, but on the wrong side of the rumble lid.

Kenneth M.    -- 09-08-2022 @ 11:34 AM
  I have the correct Handle for a 3 window coupe If you want a picture e-mail me kandbstewart@comcast.net

Kenneth M. Stewart

3w2    -- 09-15-2022 @ 8:15 AM
  On further examination of your photos, the problem clearly rests with the hinges as it appears that the bottom of your rumble lid is touching the floor instead of resting further forward against the brackets and rubber bumpers attached thereto that are slightly further forward from the bottom edge of the lid in your photos.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=15684