Topic: starter switch and starter solonoid

materguru    -- 02-12-2021 @ 6:54 PM
  which is which on the wiring diagrams. i didnt think i had a starter solenoid on a 1932 Ford. sorry guys i tried to turn them so you didnt have to break your neck. the darn things show to put them in places that are the ?same?
Also, what side of the back of the ammeter post is the battery positive side. the diagram is misleading I think Lastly, which side of ignition swith on steering column is the coil and which is battery. my other ford switch say. i guess im a starter and it obviously shows ..thanks for any help from you folks
please help this meathead out.
thanks

3w2    -- 02-13-2021 @ 11:15 AM
  Starter solenoids weren't used by Ford until the 1937 models. The first of your two wiring diagrams appears to be accurate. The second is in error regarding the starter solenoid reference. The wiring harness lead for the lights and horn should attach to the battery side of the starter switch, not to a non-existent solenoid. Your first wiring diagram shows the correct attachment for the wires to and from the ammeter (if you get it wrong and the ammeter shows 'discharge' when you know it should be 'charge' simply swap the two wires). It does not matter which ignition switch wire is attached to which stud on the back of the ignition switch as it is a simple off/on switch and the electrical current knows which direction to travel.

3w2    -- 02-14-2021 @ 3:59 AM
  Additionally, on the first chart, the form of the dash light switch illustrated is that of the '33-'34 version mounted on the lower edge of the dash panel, not the '32 version located on the right side of the instrument panel on V8-powered vehicles.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-18-2021 @ 7:41 AM
  hi materguru
here is a photo of a 32~34 starter switch, foot operated,
This could be a aftermarket switch,
I found this in a catalog MARCO SERVICE PARTS, 1946
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 3-19-21 @ 10:47 AM

3w2    -- 03-18-2021 @ 7:40 PM
  Sorry, but that switch in your photo is nothing like the one used originally on '32s and the slightly different one used on '33-'34s. Those two switches attach on the steering gear box and have a separate mushroom-capped rod transitioning through the #1 floorboard.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=14608