Topic: 1932 Ford Model B - Attached Garage

cowspotter    -- 09-22-2020 @ 12:55 PM
  Hi. I just moved my family's restored 1932 Ford Model B (4 cylinder) up to my house. Previously it had been stored in detached garages and a warehouse, but now it's parking my 2 car attached garage. I'm finding the aroma of the car/oil/gas is getting a bit strong in the garage, to the point that it is seeping through the various cracks and crevices in the drywall into the house. I've tried to spray foam some of those gaps, but I'd like to reduce the buildup. There's no obvious gas leaks, though there are the usual water/oil drips coming off the car. My understanding is that since this car has a vented gas tank, carb, etc, the smell is just part of what to expect.

I'm asking around about adding some ventilation to the garage but I also doubt I'm the first person to deal with this. Any advice from anyone on how they've approached this issue in the past?

ford38v8    -- 09-22-2020 @ 1:55 PM
  All garages should be be vented at floor level and at the eaves in several places, and if attached to a house, it is a standard building code in most states. Be sure to have screens over the vents to deny access to vermin. Water heaters and furnaces in garages should be elevated 18" off the deck to prevent ignition of gas fumes that accumulate at floor level.

Alan

cowspotter    -- 09-22-2020 @ 2:05 PM
  There's no water heaters/furnaces in the garage. Those are in a utility room in the basement. The soffits are vented above the garage door, but that doesn't really do anything for the air in the garage itself since the garage is a finished room with drywall.

I'm hesitant to just add some vents since that would cause the garage temperature to drop significantly in the winter, also impacting the energy consumption of the house.

ford38v8    -- 09-22-2020 @ 2:32 PM
  In that case, install fire alarms to provide adequate time to exit the building. Alarms are also required in most states.

Alan

3w2    -- 09-22-2020 @ 5:18 PM
  How long since the car was last driven or had gasoline added to the tank? That's important as if it is more than six months the gasoline is breaking down chemically and depending how old it is and how much is left in the tank, it would be the major source of the odor you are experiencing.. Ultimately you may have to drain and remove the gas tank and have it cleaned out professionally. Do not put any gasoline in the clean tank until you are ready to drive the car and use only ethanol-free gasoline when you do.

agriffey    -- 11-01-2020 @ 6:36 PM
  I have know of folks using synthetic gear oil in old cars to keep the smell down.
The fuel tank is vented in the gas cap. Seems that would be easy to seal

3w2    -- 11-02-2020 @ 5:31 PM
  With respect, '32-'35 Fords are not vented at the cap but rather at the sending unit in the tank.

Marlar    -- 09-27-2021 @ 10:30 AM
  Hello,cowspotter! In my opinion, the good way for you is the approach to a professional carport/building company. I had the same problem with ventilation. Don't underestimate the danger of ventilation problems because it may be health consequences and the danger of fire explosion, especially if you got a car with a vented tank. The gases from the tank without a good garage ventilation system can be the reason for the explosion. Take a note that rebuilding your garage without professional building plans can not solve your issue.

This message was edited by Marlar on 9-29-21 @ 5:03 AM

3w2    -- 09-29-2021 @ 7:21 PM
  A far simpler solution is to not keep gasoline in the garage either in the proverbial red can or in your car's gas tank. Unless you use it regularly, empty the tank between uses and dispose of the gas responsibly. I've a building full of early Fords with vented gas tanks and no odors as the tanks are all empty. It's a bit of a chore to empty the tank, but small change compared to building a new odor-deterrent garage.

40 Coupe    -- 11-09-2021 @ 7:04 AM
  Suggest you look for a fuel leak even though you do not see it under the car it can still be leaking. Visually and physically check from the gas tank through the carburetor.

RylieStafford    -- 07-25-2022 @ 5:35 AM
  Oh yes, I understand you very well. My uncle had a rare car in his garage about a year ago. And the smell of engine oil was unbearable. My uncle didn't care about it because he was a bachelor. For him, that smell was sweeter than the smell of flowers in the spring. But it became a problem when I visited him with my family. I wasn't going to sit still and watch my kids breathe machine oil. I turned to the guys at https://advantagegd.com/ . They came quickly and sealed the garage completely. They sealed all the micro-cracks in the walls and even put a special pad on the door to keep the smell from seeping through the cracks. Try it, maybe it will help you.

This message was edited by RylieStafford on 7-29-22 @ 11:00 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=14182