Topic: Cabriolet front window

gOz    -- 01-02-2020 @ 7:05 PM
  As I continue on my Cabriolet's restoration, I am going to attempt to install the front window into the car body. I have looked at all the supplier's front window seals, and they all appear to be one piece that goes around the chrome frame and then you bond the two ends together. I have installed other seals around window frames before, but the corners were always rounded unlike the Cabriolets, which are square. Here are my questions: Are the seal's corners to be notched to make the 90 degree bend? Would you glue the seal to the chrome frame, and then lube it to install the whole assembly into the car's frame? Would it be better to glue it into the car's frame, and then install the chrome frame/window into the car's frame? Or maybe don't use any glue at all. Of course, it's also about not scratching the paint job. I would really appreciate any help that I could get on this matter. Thank you in advance to those that can offer me some advise.

3w2    -- 01-03-2020 @ 6:12 PM
  Roadster and phaeton windshield weather strips also weren't molded in the lower corners. In any event, I recommend that you discard completely the idea of gluing the weather strips in place. If you do, you may limit your ability to make adjustments once the glue sets up. You'll find that the installation in the frame requires varying amounts of pulling and tugging even if you use soap or some other rubber lubricant to facilitate the installation. Given that will happen, the molecular memory of the rubber will cause it to "retreat" toward those places with the tightest fits and overnight suddenly one or more of your weather strip has receded from the corners despite being glued in (no glue sticks to chrome plating very well).

I install the weather strips leaving an inch or so of excess at each corner and then let it sit overnight or better yet a week to let the rubber decide it is stable and no longer wanting to even out the internal tension along its lengths. Then cut the strips at the corners at about 45 degrees coming to a point matching up with the edge and point of the adjacent strip at the corner. Then making sure the edges of the cuts are super clean apply black liquid rubber to glue the edges together flush with one another. Some forms of liquid rubber can be smoothed out with solvents such as lacquer thinner to smooth out the joint and make it look like it was made that way.

gOz    -- 01-05-2020 @ 5:58 PM
  Thank you for your help on this project. I appreciate greatly the info and advise that you have given concerning this window installation. I will try to do the best that I can. Thank you again.

3w2    -- 01-05-2020 @ 6:29 PM
  You're welcome!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-21-2020 @ 3:07 PM
  if you use the black rubber sealer, and it is messy,
I found out years ago, WD 40 removes the black sealer, and DOES NOT HARM , any paint
so have a can close by for JUST in CASE,,,,,
hope this helps 37Ratopman

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-22-20 @ 7:49 AM

materguru    -- 04-23-2020 @ 10:18 AM
  hey
Don Turner here and i am also restoring a 32 Cab. would really like to talk to you to compare notes. i have some questions about the interior. i have a darn near complete car but interior is not so much
thanks
Don Turner
cell# 864-706-7990

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=13488