Topic: Cabriolet walnut burl

gOz    -- 05-07-2018 @ 10:13 AM
  Concerning the walnut burl finish on my Cabriolet, there is a photo on pg 11-30 in the Clubs book of an ashtray which I think is this finish. Is the photo an accurate rendering of walnut Burl? There is also a photo of a dash in the books corrections listing, but it appears to have more red in it. I believe the base coat is a reddish/brown for the walnut burl finish. However; it appears to me that there is a lot of variance in the coloring of items with this finish on them. I like the ashtray coloring and will have it done that way if it's correct. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3w2    -- 05-09-2018 @ 5:07 PM
  The original red base coat was the same regardless of the grain, be it the early straight (deluxe phaeton and deluxe roadster), early combined straight and burl (cabriolet, convertible sedan, and deluxe sedans and Victoria), unique to deluxe coupe early and late combined grains, or late burl (all deluxe body types except deluxe coupe).

The photo below is the back of the dash from that early low mileage Victoria that is shown in the book addendum and is a very good representation of the original base coat.

The graining and the base coats both fade with exposure to sun light over time plus the ambient lighting of photographs can have a huge impact on the apparent appearance of original examples. The front and back of the Victoria dash is an excellent example of that. If you use the photo below for a guide for the base coat and the ink pattern shown on pages 11-35 and 11-38, you won't be far off.

3w2    -- 05-09-2018 @ 5:10 PM
  Here's another of the back of the Victoria's dash out of direct sun light.

gOz    -- 05-09-2018 @ 6:48 PM
  Thanks for the helpful info. It's people like you that help make this club a success. As this is my first restoration project I want to make it a good example for others to enjoy. Your knowledge and insight will help me do that. Thank you.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=11888