Topic: Will Repo engine pass at the National meet?

Kenneth M.    -- 07-19-2017 @ 7:25 AM
  I need engine pens for my 32 and will repo pans pass? On 32 Fords do they deduct for repo parts? What repo parts will Pass?

Kenneth M. Stewart

CharlieStephens    -- 07-19-2017 @ 10:48 AM
  I can't comment on your question but there is one thing you should watch out for. When Bill Honda of California Metal Shaping (no longer in business) made repro pans he based them on the pans on his very original roadster. It turns out one side was early and one side was late. If you are buying used repro pans you might want to watch for this. I don't know of anyone currently making pans. Is it correct to assume you have a V8?

Charlie Stephens

3w2    -- 07-19-2017 @ 6:47 PM
  Like everything else Bill Honda (rip) reproduced, those engine splash pans were excellent copies. Someone else reproduced them also (decades ago), but they were pretty crude and easy to detect. There's nothing wrong with reproduction parts per se and we would not have much to work with without them; it's when they fall short of matching the fit, function, or finish of the original parts that leads to judging deductions.

Charlie's right about the California Metal Shaping pans being a mixture of the second and third design of the pans, but I seriously doubt that Ford paid anyone to ensure that only pairs of the same design level were used in production during the transition from one design to the next. That recalls the thought that someone's job at Ford was to match up the mold numbers on headlamp lenses so that all sets had two of the same number. Right.

Kenneth M.    -- 08-04-2017 @ 2:21 AM
  I luck out I found a set of original for my 32.

Kenneth M. Stewart

37 Coupe    -- 09-12-2017 @ 3:26 PM
  I am probably wrong but I thought a few years ago at a western meet a knowingly '32 Brookville roadster won a Dearborn.I also thought it was specifically noted in judging that repro panels were allowed so therefore an entire body would be included.So why would anyone worry about repro
pans?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&Topic=10992