Topic: 1947 Ford Convertible Top Assembly

crusinforty    -- 04-23-2016 @ 6:30 PM
  Hello Everyone,
We have a 1947 Ford Convertible and I am in the process of assembling the top irons. I do not know what washer are needed and how they are positioned on each respective bolt. I am looking for a sketch on how this are assembled I have a copy of the body book but I cannot get the info I need from it. Any help would be appreciated
Thank You!

harvsfl    -- 04-28-2016 @ 5:23 PM
  If you haven't found the information you are looking for, I have a parts book that has all of the parts and part numbers. I can scan the page and email you.

rg130    -- 04-29-2016 @ 8:58 AM
  Crusinforty-

I went through this with my 47 convertible top irons. I made drawings of the irons, bolts, washers as I took the irons apart. This was helpful in reassembling the irons. If you still need this info I can scan my notes and send to you. I was able to get most of the replacement bolts, washers, etc. from Totally Stainless (Doc Hammett) Gettysburg, PA, Ph# 717-677-8811. Good guy to deal with.

crusinforty    -- 05-13-2016 @ 6:25 PM
  Hello rg130,

Yes please send me any information you have on how to assemble the top irons and the washer arrangement.

Thanks You,

Crusinforty

jtwilliams42    -- 04-05-2020 @ 2:06 PM
  I noticed this topic is a few years old, but I too am looking for the assembly diagram for a 1946 Convertible top as well as the adjustment procedures. If anyone has that information I would greatly appreciate it if you could scan it and email it to me, or point me in the right direction as to where to find it. Thanks! jwilliams@titancc.net

supereal    -- 04-07-2020 @ 3:02 PM
  There is a good illustration of the top irons in the 1944-1952 body parts catalog page 304, Order a copy from C&G as V-44, $52. You will need it. Their order number is
800/266-0470. When I restored my '47 convertible the top was in parts, and without the manual you will likely never get it together so it will operate properly. Some of the "bolts" are special with eccentric shafts. We operate a machine shop, so we made many of them, a tricky job. Adjustment is very time consuming, as any adjustment changes the others.

Wilki    -- 02-16-2021 @ 9:52 AM
  I am looking for information on wear enncentric bolts go &top adjustment should front header bow set back tight against windshield frame if anyone can help I would really appreciate it my email is jmtdoug@gmail.com thanks

Wilki    -- 02-19-2021 @ 9:06 AM
  Thanks for the information I appreciate it -rick bocchi

Wilki    -- 02-28-2021 @ 9:46 AM
  Could someone tell me if the front wooden bow fit tight against the lip on the top of the windshield frame or should there be a gap on 47 ford convertible email Jmtdoug@gmail.com

blarge    -- 03-01-2021 @ 10:40 AM
  The wooden front top header has a rubber seal tacked on it's forward edge that fits tight against the metal windshield top. The metal windshield top has lip on it's rear edge that a rubber seal is slipped over and held at the ends with a steel horseshoe clip. The wood bow presses against this seal. Bill Large

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9606