Topic: 1950 instrument lights and heater questions

rsh1950    -- 04-13-2016 @ 6:04 PM
  TomO fixed my last problem with the backup lights by leading me to the fuses near the clock. All these fuses are working fine and they service the interior and backup lights. Now for my new issues.
1st Problem: My instrument lights are not working. Headlights, parking,license and backup lights all work.
When I pull the light switch on...no inst. lights. Next I twist the switch (thinking rheostat) but no lights. So I am stuck until you guys give me some things to try.
2nd Problem/Question: Underneath the heater controls there is a small push button switch. What is this switch suppose to do? I push it but nothing.
happens. One wire was pulled out of the back of the switch and I stuck it back in (hole) but I am not sure it is connected.
Thanks in advance for your help.

rsh1950

flathead4rd    -- 04-14-2016 @ 6:48 AM
  That little push button is for the light in the heater control assembly. Do you have brake lights? If not their on the same circuit as the dash lights. Check the fuse under the dash near the speedometer. There are two fuses on the panel there.

This message was edited by flathead4rd on 4-14-16 @ 6:52 AM

deluxe40    -- 04-14-2016 @ 7:44 PM
  The '50 Ford wiring diagram in the back of the Shop Manual shows the dash lights are powered directly from the light switch on a blue wire with a red tracer (BL-R). It shows four lights in the speedometer cluster (at 3, 6, 9 & 12 o'clock), plus an extension for the clock light if your car has a clock. You didn't mention tail lights in your question and I believe the dash lights and the tail lights are on the same circuit rather than the brake lights, so check to see they are on (they probably are because the license light is fed from them and it works). Another possibility is that the dash lights are so dim that you can't seem them. '49 and '50 Fords had one of the most beautiful night-time instrument clusters ever produced. The numbers and needles on the gauges were made with some kind of luminous material and were indirectly lit from bulbs that had a green covering. Over the decades the material has lost its luminous quality and/or the bulbs have become too dark. So, even with the bulbs lit you can't read the numbers at night. I'm not sure what he solution might be. I gave up and carried a flashlight on the seat next to me.

rsh1950    -- 04-15-2016 @ 5:19 PM
  Thanks for the two comments. Here is what I found today. Turn off all the lights in the shop, then turn on the car's lights and low and behold I do have instrument lights. The instrument lights are just you describe very low luminescence, but working .....problem solved.

Again you were correct about the little push-button heater switch...it lights up the heater control. Both of these lights are almost impossible to see during daylight.
Thanks for your help.
rsh1950

flathead4rd    -- 04-16-2016 @ 7:19 AM
  Your welcome. Thanks for the reply.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9585