Topic: 1947-1948 Gauge/glove box trim

Ritzy1    -- 12-06-2015 @ 6:10 AM
  The gauge bezel on my '48 has no mounting studs. Someone used what looks like epoxy to fix it, but that didn't seem to work. Seems like a common problem. I've been searching for a complete one on ebay without success. I saw one advertised, but it also looks like someone used epoxy to secure the studs and one has come off.

Can anyone tell me/show me how they were originally secured/what they look like? Does anyone have one with studs installed that I could purchase?

The one on my glove box has one that is attached and one that has come loose. It looks like the stud is secured on a thin piece of metal and soldered to the trim piece. Could I solder the one that has come loose back to the trim piece?

Can't figure out how to post pictures.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

This message was edited by Ritzy1 on 12-6-15 @ 9:45 AM

woodiewagon46    -- 12-06-2015 @ 7:48 AM
  I would try Stainless Steel flux and a brass flathead screw. The bezel must be clean and you can't use regular solder flux. I don't think a soldering iron will be enough to do the job but by using minimum heat from a propane torch you should be fine.

TomO    -- 12-07-2015 @ 7:04 AM
  Epoxy should hold the studs in place. Use a slower curing epoxy, the 5 minute ones do not hold very good. Make sure that the surfaces are clean and have been roughed up enough to give some "tooth" for the epoxy to grab onto. Be very careful to get the correct mixing ration and keep the parts in a room temperature environment. Allow 2 days for the epoxy to cure.

Polish the face before you try to use the epoxy as the heat from polishing may affect the bonding.

Tom

cliftford    -- 12-07-2015 @ 8:20 AM
  These 2 studs also hold the instrument cluster in place. Be careful not to over tighten them, especially if you choose to use epoxy.

trjford8    -- 12-07-2015 @ 5:09 PM
  Ritzy, I sent you an e-mail. I have the panel with the original studs in place.

Ritzy1    -- 12-21-2015 @ 1:52 PM
  Thanks for everyone's tips and especially to Tom who hooked me up with a piece of trim that has the studs on it. Now I can secure my gauges and keep the dash looking original. Success!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9191