Topic: WWII Ford Jeep

37 Coupe    -- 10-22-2015 @ 7:16 AM
  An ad in the latest V8 Times got me thinking about a future project I would like to pursue.The ad is for a 1941 Ford GP (Jeep) and something I never thought of before are these years accepted in V8 meets? I know other 4 cylinder vehicles like 41 Ford pickups Model B etc are but are these year Jeeps even Ford engines or did Ford use Willys engines? Have no idea what is out there restored or unrestored or what price but it would probably have to be a Ford. I have an M1 carbine and a 1911A1 so guess its time to mobilize.

wrosenkrans    -- 10-22-2015 @ 8:02 AM
  WWII Jeeps were built by both Ford and Willys using Willys designs which were the final production version of the Bantam design. Ford used both Ford built and Willys built engines in their Jeeps, although there are some very subtle differences. A '41 Ford GP is actually a very rare Jeep and technically a pre-production/very early production machine with some interesting differences from the full wartime production (Willys called theirs the MA).

I don't know what the V8 judging standards are, but since the design is not Ford, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't allowed in V8 judging. There is a new AACA class for military vehicles, and of course the Military vehicle groups. There is a very comprehensive forum for the Jeeps and other related MV's at G503.com/forums.

I own a 1942 Willys MB which is what is referred to as a "Motorpool" restoration, i.e., as it would appear in the field as opposed to a factory correct restoration. We've been having a ball getting its "kit" together, tools, trailer, etc. We often display it with our 1942 Tudor in a display I call "America Enters the War Years". Its marked as a Jeep operating with the 15 Corps, 6 Cav, 28th Recon based in Northern Ireland just prior to D-day.

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

efv8    -- 10-22-2015 @ 10:22 AM
  I would like to draw your attention to page 30 of the 2015 Early Ford V-8 Club Roster.
SPECIAL INTEREST - Any vehicle utilizing a chassis manufactured by the Ford Motor Company during
the era from 1932-1953 and incorporating a body which was of unique design, outstanding features or
unusual factory custom styling powered by a Ford product 1932-1953 four, six, eight or twelve-cylinder
engine. Included in this class are limousines, hearses, fire trucks, andambulances. All Ford manufactured vehicles 1932-1953 not specifically noted, but otherwise qualified, shall be entered in the Special Interest Class.

I believe that there was a Jeep at a Grand National Meet in the past.

Web Administrator

This message was edited by efv8 on 10-22-15 @ 10:23 AM

wrosenkrans    -- 10-22-2015 @ 1:42 PM
  That would be really cool if the Ford GP and GPW's are allowed. I suppose it would have to have a Ford-built engine in it technically to qualify under "powered by a Ford product 1932-1953 four..." The GPAs, otherwise known as a SEEP, were all built by Ford with Ford engines. The SEEPs are amphibious Jeeps, picture a Jeep with a boat hull around it, and are very very rare going for silly money these days. Now that would be a Special Interest Vehicle!

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=9094