Topic: clutch

dickt    -- 08-21-2015 @ 1:04 PM
  Hi I am new to the group
I need help with my CLUTCH with a 9 1/2”, The clutch chatters, I had 2 new put in at different shops and it still happens,I put in a new pilot bearing (bronze bushing) new perisher plate, new clutch plate, new throughout bearing.
My car is a 1951 ford Vicky with a three speed on the tree with overdrive that is not hookup yet with v8 239-cid/100 HP 2 barrel carb. It has a 1967-1968 mustang rear end in it with 3.55 ring & pinion, 51 inch backing plntu to. If you can help or sagest on what to do it would be appreciated. You can call or text me on my cell, or e-mail me.
Thanks
Dick Testa Ma.
781-526-2898 Cell
dicksvideo@verizon.net

carcrazy    -- 08-21-2015 @ 1:49 PM
  Many different items can contribute to clutch chatter. Loose or broken engine or transmission mounts can cause it as well as oil or grease on the clutch disc.

fla48    -- 08-21-2015 @ 7:51 PM
  This is a problem with the materials they use on the clutch disc. After driving the car for a while, you will learn how to keep the chatter to a minimum.

len47merc    -- 08-22-2015 @ 6:11 AM
  Dick - until being directed by this forum to Fort Wayne Clutch (FWC) and purchasing one of their clutch discs I too struggled with chatter. Their disc material works well on our Fords/Mercs/Lincolns, the well-designed Marcel spring (not present on any other suppliers' products I could find) between the facings cushions the engagement very well and produces smooth as silk clutch releases on both easy and 'aggressive' take-offs, at least for me anyway. Went through two other suppliers' discs with no other changes, still had chatter, and when finally trying Fort Wayne's product the problem was solved. Have several thousand miles on the clutch now and am very pleased with the result.

EDIT - seriously doubt with a new FWC pressure plate as well as a FWC disc that any removal and/or resurfacing of the flywheel would be necessary but that is for your expert('s) review. My experience supports no work on the flywheel is necessary. If you choose to do so regarding the flywheel, ensure you follow 'flathead4rd's' advice below. Personally not in favor of removing a manufacturer-installed flywheel but sometimes it is necessary, just never found this to be the case thus far.

To carcrazy's point, the rear main seal was replaced prior to new clutch install to help minimize and prevent typical flathead oil leaks from contaminating the clutch disc - a major contributor IMHO to chatter. Be absolutely certain the bearing surfaces of both your flywheel and pressure plate are squeaky clean of foreign materials before assembly (for me acetone rag followed by 90% isopropyl).

EDIT - Search this forum for the last 365 days for the words 'pressure plate' and username 'TomO' and ensure, in addition to the above should you choose to take this route, you follow TomO's pressure plate installation advice during reassembly.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 8-22-15 @ 6:28 PM

flathead4rd    -- 08-22-2015 @ 7:10 AM
  What len47 suggests is probably the best fix. You might also have the flywheel resurfaced and balanced. Just remember to mark its position in relation to the crank before you take it off. I put a punch mark on both pieces.

TNation    -- 09-01-2015 @ 3:17 AM
  I had terrible clutch chatter in my '36 even with newly resurfaced flywheel, new motor mounts, etc.

Someone (don't remember who) recommended David Egelston (816-842-7398) who provided me with a "soft engagement" clutch. Problem solved - absolutely no chatter.

TomO    -- 09-01-2015 @ 7:16 AM
  The original post is for an open drive shaft car and the causes of clutch chatter can be different than on the torque tube cars.

The most common causes of chatter in the open drive shaft cars are: bad or loose motor mounts, oil contamination, dirty or scored flywheel, flywheel runout, incorrect installation procedure, poor quality clutch disc and pressure plate.

Your rear end is not stock and may be contributing to the chatter problem.

Check the flywheel for runout, heat checking, and contamination.

Fort Wayne Clutch has quality parts. Make sure that the pressure on the disc is relieved while installing the pressure plate.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8894