Topic: '47 ford hood alignment

louganser    -- 03-02-2010 @ 7:54 PM
  I recently purchased a restored (AACA Senior)1947 Ford coupe deluxe. The back edge of the hood does not fit tightly to the cowl and the back edge of the passenger door does not align with the contour of the body. The seller told me that he has seen other same vintage Fords with this problem. As far as I can tell, the car has not been wrecked (passed the magnet test). Any tips to get these alignment problems resolvedwould be appreciated. Would new hood springs and checking the hinges on the door help? Thanks!
Lou Ganser

Lou G

42wagon    -- 03-03-2010 @ 3:22 AM
  Lou
An article appeared in the V8 Times within the last year, I believe, regarding hood adjustment. If my memory serves me correctly you adjust the hinges - there are three bolts in each. I think the article said that raising the hinges lowers the back edge of the hood. Try that before you go out and buy a whole bunch of new parts.

Can't help you with the doors - mine are made of wood.
Ted

supereal    -- 03-03-2010 @ 7:16 AM
  The main cause of poor fit of the 42-48 hoods, particularly at the cowl end, is weak springs. Loose and worn pivot bolts affect it, as well. The springs actually pull the back edge of the hood down onto the seal as the links go "over center" when the hood is lowered. Springs (91A-16789) are less than ten bucks apiece, and the whole arm/spring assembly is $55 from C&G. All springs lose strength as they age, including the trunk lid supports, etc. Adjusting the hood is another one of those "any change affects everything else" and requires lots of time and patience to get the front and back to fall into place.

jerry.grayson    -- 03-03-2010 @ 2:42 PM
  Here is how I do it. Lower the hood but don't latch it, then loosen all the hood hinge bolts. This will allow you to position the back edge of the hood where you want it. Tighten all the hinge bolts, then you have to deal with front of the hood to grill and fender alignment. That is another task. Sometimes no further adjustment is needed. If you have worn or bent parts you have to deal with that first.

194dee1    -- 03-04-2010 @ 4:55 AM
  I had the same hood alignment problem with my 1941
and the first thing I did was replace the springs. That did not help. What did was doing the adjustment that was in a V8Times issue of a few issues past where you raise the hinge and it works great.

John

tbloss    -- 03-04-2010 @ 5:42 AM
  Jerry: How do you lower the hood and then loosen the bolts? I have always wished I could be under the closed hood with tools and someone on the outside could position the hood. I see how it would work with the engine out. I finally got my hood right when I sent the hinges to a company that has ads in Hemmings, and they made them as new. I can find the name if anyone is interested. Tom..

louganser    -- 03-05-2010 @ 2:11 PM
  Many thanks! I'd like to get a copy of that V8 Times.

Lou G

louganser    -- 03-05-2010 @ 2:13 PM

Thanks! Maybe I should start with a new set of hinges and springs from either Dennis Carpenter or C&G.

Lou G

supereal    -- 03-06-2010 @ 9:29 AM
  I don't mean to imply that new springs will fix the problem in every case, but the common complaint is that when the hood is supposed to be completely down on the cowl, it rises as the hood drops. All it takes is a weak spring on one side, or a wobbling hinge, to create the gap. Also, carefully examine the links between the firewall and the hood to be sure none are crooked or bent. If so, no adjustment will be effective.

louganser    -- 03-08-2010 @ 12:39 PM
  Does anyone have a copy of a recent Ford Times article that deals with hood alignment? I'm a new member and I'd like to get a copy of the article. Many Thanks! Lou

Lou G

supereal    -- 03-08-2010 @ 2:47 PM
  Lou: The only article in the V8 TIMES that I could find was in the Nov/De 1992 issue (Pg 70). It was a response to a question by Rusty Davis. It goes as follows:
Inspect the rivets that hold the arms to the hinge. If any are bad, usually the head is nearly worn off. After you are sure your hinges are in top shape, any of the fine shouldered bolts must be replaced if they are worn, along with the wave washers. Once this is done, adjust the hood as follows: The bolts that hold the hinge should be tight, but the three bolts that hold the hinge to the car must be loose. By moving the hinges up and down at the firewall, you should be able to obtain the correct hood fit. It will take time and patience. Be sure to safety wire the bolts with the drilled heads when finished. That is the somewhat condensed answer. As noted in earlier posts, the hinges and springs must be very good. New ones are available at modest cost, and I'd start there. He mentions Roy Nacewicz as a source for a hood bolt kit. (PO Box 285, Allen Park Mi 48101.)

42wagon    -- 03-08-2010 @ 4:22 PM
  Lou
Look for the May/June 2009 issue of the V8 Times. On pages 39 and 40 is an article titled "Aligning the 1942/1948 Hood".
Ted

trjford8    -- 03-08-2010 @ 8:43 PM
  This back issue may still be available.Check with; v8accessories@gmail.com.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 3-8-10 @ 8:44 PM

supereal    -- 03-09-2010 @ 8:34 AM
  That'll teach me to find my 2009 roster. Mike Kicsak's article is comprehensive, but I do take issue with bending the hinges. That introduces a whole new set of problems. If you can't locate a copy of the article, Lou, I'd be happy to scan it for you.

v8teditor    -- 03-09-2010 @ 5:25 PM
  The "Alignment of the 1946-48 Hood" by Mark Kicsak appeared in the May/June 2009 V-8 TIMES and has garnered quite a lot of attention.

jerry.grayson    -- 03-10-2010 @ 7:06 AM
  tbloss,
sorry for the delay in answering you about the hood alignment. Loosen the two bolts under the hood a little bit, the go inside the dash and loosen the bolts there. Close the hood, but don't latch it and align it to the cowl to suit you. Tighten the bolts inside and carefully raise the hood and tighten the bolts at the cowl. Close the hood and see if the alignment is still the same. You may have to do this more than once to get what you want.

louganser    -- 03-22-2010 @ 9:26 PM
  I just ordered the reprints of the Times. Many thanks to all!

Lou G

louganser    -- 03-22-2010 @ 9:27 PM
  I ordered a copy! Thanks!

Lou G

supereal    -- 03-23-2010 @ 9:17 AM
  For those who want to see the article, here it is:

supereal    -- 03-23-2010 @ 9:19 AM
  Pg. 2 hood adj.

tbloss    -- 03-25-2010 @ 8:07 AM
  Jerry.G: Thanks for the reply..That should work with good springs, hinges etc. When I did my hood several years ago, I ordered repop brackets, springs from one of the better parts dealers.. They were not nearly as good as the originals, so put them on the self in the shop and had my originals rebuilt. Seems it was around $200 bucks, but look and work like new. I'll sell the repop arms & springs cheap if anyone wants them. Don't have the hinges as they were back ordered & I canceled that part of the order. Thanks again for the reply. Tom...

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=881