Topic: Gas Tank removal

forJJ    -- 04-03-2015 @ 5:49 PM
  I am trying to remove the tank on a 36 sedan. The two bolts on the drivers side came out. The single bolt with a spring on the other side turns, but won't come out. I can't get to the top side, any ideas on getting it out?

pinnsky    -- 04-03-2015 @ 6:07 PM
  I had the same issue last year. I used a short hack saw to cut the bolt close to the frame. It can be lifted slightly to remove the tank. If you are puting in a new tank, the nut is in a cage welded to the flange.

forJJ    -- 04-04-2015 @ 5:30 AM
  That's what I was thinking, just hoping someone had a trick for removing it.

len47merc    -- 04-04-2015 @ 5:33 AM
  Dremel tool with cutting disk works well.

Steve

42wagon    -- 04-04-2015 @ 7:01 AM
  This was one of Henry's great ideas. Put the nut in a cage so when you are assembling the car you don't need to hold the nut while you are inserting a bolt in it. Unfortunately not so great when you want to take something apart and it is the least bit frozen. The nut is gonna turn and there is no way to put a wrench on it.
I had to cut the head off the bolt holding the gas tank. And there were several others in the front fenders I had to cut as well.

forJJ    -- 04-04-2015 @ 7:16 AM
  Okay, after I cut the bolt, how do I remove the tank? It looks like the filler neck is in the way, and I don't want to remove the fender. Is there a way too remove the neck without taking the fender off? I am trying to keep this car as original and intact as possible.

nelsb01    -- 04-04-2015 @ 7:52 AM
  This is where the wonderful spanner wrench lives up to its title.
If you look at the filler neck you will see that there is a large connection with square teeth around the edge. If you untread this connection, the filler neck can be removed. Be careful as there is a lead washer between the filler neck and gas tank. Once this is removed, you will have to loosen the body bolts to be able to raise the rear body to be able to slide the gas tank out.
You will probably need a new lead washer. They are available from Southside Obsolete in MN and other places.
Since it sounds like you want to know about and keep your Ford original, may I suggest you purchase the 1935-1936 Ford Book that is available from the online store on this website.
The information for this response was referenced in that book.
Forgot to mention that Sears stores (remember them) used to carry different sized spanner wrenches. Otherwise, find a friend with one or check out swap meets for tools.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 4-4-15 @ 7:55 AM

forJJ    -- 04-04-2015 @ 8:33 AM
  I have the book on order. I am impatiently waiting for it.

forJJ    -- 04-04-2015 @ 8:46 AM
  Okay, I see the collar that connects between the tank and the filler neck, but I'm confused. Is the collar a swivel? I don't see how it will turn with the neck sticking out of the fender unless it is a swivel.
I hope this makes sense, I'm just getting frustrated.

Thanks

TonyM    -- 04-04-2015 @ 4:13 PM
  The threaded collar holds the filler neck to the tank. Once the threaded collar is loosened, it is supposed to slide back off of the flanged end of the filler neck. The filler neck and threaded collar (packing nut) are two pieces (but integrated). Once the threaded collar is loosened and slid back, the filler neck will come off of the tank. That is how it is supposed to work. The filler neck then can be removed from the tank through the fender hole.

78-730B

forJJ    -- 04-05-2015 @ 2:01 PM
  how far does the collar turn? I couldn't move it with a large pair of channel lock pliers, is the spanner wrench the way to dof it?

TonyM    -- 04-05-2015 @ 5:01 PM
  Yes, use a spanner. I used this one from Park Tools.

78-730B

dean333    -- 04-10-2015 @ 9:21 AM
  I also have a 36 sedan and I"ll be happy to discuss the whole process. Call me , 678 773 5764. Tim in Shorewood Ill.

TIM CARLIG

This message was edited by dean333 on 4-10-15 @ 9:24 AM

Grant    -- 04-10-2015 @ 4:17 PM
  Hi JJ ...........

You might like to pull up an old Forum thread on this site called " '36 gas tank fill leak " .

It deals with re-installation of the gas tank filler neck on our '36 Ford, which was even more fun than trying to get the darn thing to come off.

That collar has large holes drilled around its circumference. Inserting the pin on the spanner wrench into one hole and rotating the collar counter-clockwise is how I managed to get ours undone.

The key to success was using an Armstrong 34-219 pin wrench, which we bought on Ebay but might be available at your local Sears store. Maybe the one like Tony has for his '37 would work as well. I don't know anything about that design, but the Armstrong 34-219 is a perfect fit on a stock 1936 Ford gas tank filler neck collar.

On our '36, the problem was to get the neck tightened down again far enough so that the tank didn't leak afterwards. It was a battle (as discussed in that old thread "'36 gas tank fill leak" which you should be able to pull up by using the SEARCH function in the title bar above this discussion). Definitely you should order at least two lead seals. Maybe three. With the fender still bolted onto the car, that soft circular lead seal is difficult to get into exactly the correct position.

Good luck, and welcome to the Early Ford V8 Club.

forJJ    -- 04-11-2015 @ 2:16 PM
  Thanks for all the help! I finally got it! The filler neck was a job, but it finally came loose. Then I had to cut the head off of the one bolt. The bad news: the tank was rusted out on top, so it looks like a new tank from Bob Drake is my next big purchase

Thanks again!

Grant    -- 04-12-2015 @ 5:58 AM
  Drake carries the lead seal you will need as part number 46-9051.

flatheadfan    -- 04-18-2015 @ 11:46 PM
  forJJ-

Three things. First, enclosed is a picture of an original Ford spanner wrench use for removal of the threaded gas tank neck. You can buy a the needed wrench from:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#spanner-wrenches/=wtdeqp

Second, if you are considering buying a new gas tank neck along with a new gas tank from Bob Drake I would reconsider it. There have been several discussions on various sites (ex: Fordbarn), regarding the poor fit of the neck.

Finally, the Bob Drake tank is not an exact "drop-in" tank. There are some fitment issues but nothing that can't be handled.

Tom

trjford8    -- 04-19-2015 @ 1:16 PM
  flathadfan, just for info a friend of mine just installed a Drake tank in his '36 and it went right in with no problems. I know there were issues in the past (I had trouble with a 37 tank), but I suspect some of the fitment problems from the past have been resolved. My friend used his original neck, so I can't speak to the accuracy of the filler neck.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=8380