Topic: 36 battery size

ken ct.    -- 12-03-2014 @ 4:09 AM
  Anybody know the # of original size batt. foe 36. Need new one. (NO OPTIMA's please) ken ct.

40 Coupe    -- 12-03-2014 @ 4:31 AM
  The original 36 Ford battery is not the same size as any of the modern replacements, which all come in group sizes (standards). I even got a replacement reproduction Ford battery and it did not fit properly in my 35. I had to add filler strips so the battery would not shift in the original location, and had to insulate the floor cover to prevent possible shorting of post. The battery did not last but 2 years. I now run an Optima in the stock location using a bracket (no additional holes) to lower the Optima

DD931    -- 12-03-2014 @ 2:23 PM
  Ken - The Green Book says the dimensions are 10 1/2 X 7 1/8 X 7 1/4. P/N 81A-10655-A for 100 Amp-Hr, -B for 90 Amp-Hr, same size. I didn't see a Group number.

ken ct.    -- 12-03-2014 @ 2:35 PM
  Thanks "DD" didn't even think of looking in the GB. thanks . ken ct.

Don Rogers    -- 12-04-2014 @ 6:53 AM
  Here's what the original battery looks like with dimensions.

ken ct.    -- 12-04-2014 @ 8:09 AM
  Don do you know if the 7 1/8" includes the posts height,thanks for the info. ken ct.

Don Rogers    -- 12-04-2014 @ 10:49 AM
  No Ken, The 7 1/8" is the case height. You have to add another inch for the posts.

ken ct.    -- 12-04-2014 @ 12:34 PM
  Oh man that's 8+ " high,thanks Don. ken ct.

trjford8    -- 12-04-2014 @ 5:03 PM
  In the past I used the battery that fit the old Volkswagen bug. They were shorter and fit under the floor perfect.

1934 Ford    -- 12-04-2014 @ 5:23 PM
  The battery that you are looking for was called a "2N" and was only a total of 6 3/4 high and safly went below the floor of the V8 car & trucks. NO LONGER MADE.
The VW battery is low like the original Ford and is a 19L that still can be ordered by your NAPA Store (I think they added a couple more letters to the number.

Other solution is to lower the battery box and buy the 6V battery for tractors at Tractor Supply, $79.00.
I tried Optima but ernt back to traditional 6 Volt from Sam's Club or Tractor Supply. Then in one car I moved it to below the back seat because I did''t like it being lower than the original. (I don't get them judged)

1934 Ford's since 1972

ken ct.    -- 12-05-2014 @ 7:41 AM
  The VW size battery is still carried by NAPA as a 19L . Its a little taller than the original ford battery but still fits in the 36 batt. box and room for the cover. I ordered one and it will be in this afternoon. Price $103. Its the same one im taking out so I know it fits. They are still available for us ford folks. ken ct. Thanks for everybodys help.

cliftford    -- 12-05-2014 @ 8:20 AM
  Ken ct, I'm curious, why did you choose not to stay with the optima battery? For judging or other reasons?

JM    -- 12-05-2014 @ 11:40 AM
  Ken, the lead acid type battery that fits the stock '35-'36 battery box is a 2LF. Antique Auto Battery or Restoration Battery, both located in Ohio, were the only two sources that I knew of for the correct battery size. I did not have good luck with these batteries in the past. I felt they were too expensive and they did not last very long, maybe 2 years at best. I switched to using Optima 6v Red Top batteries 5 years ago and never looked back. I made bolt in holders that fit in the stock battery box and drops the Optima down about 1-1/2" below the stock mounting. No cutting or other modifications to the stock battery box where made. The last two Optima batteries that I purchased came from Amazon.com at ~ $110.00 with free shipping.

John

ken ct.    -- 12-05-2014 @ 1:04 PM
  No Cliff , I had 2 optima's go bad on me and would not buy another Antique Battery would not garentee the second one that went bad. Been using lead acid ever since . Cars been sitting in garage for 3 yrs now and only ocational charging of this battery went dead wont hold a chargh its probably 6-7 yrs old. ken ct. I also bought a humungus optima for my camper that didn't work out. After 3 of them I give up on them.

JM    -- 12-06-2014 @ 6:44 PM
  The problems you had with the Optima batteries installed in original looking lead acid cases by Antique Auto Battery, was more than likely related to their method of installing the Optima in their case. I have been told they were using some method of extending the height of the terminal posts by heating/melting more lead to the existing posts. Their method of heating may have caused damage at the top of the internal connections which could have lead to premature failure. I don't try to hide these Optima batteries in a case. I use them just as they come from the manufacturer/supplier. I don't care or worry about losing show points for not looking original.

John

This message was edited by JM on 12-7-14 @ 5:53 AM

ken ct.    -- 12-07-2014 @ 12:01 AM
  John , the2 Optimas I had go bad were NOT in a ford case ,they were installed as received. Working on it on warmer days when I can im getting there.Rejoined the Ct. chapter and wife and I attended annual Xmas party yesterday much fun was had by all.Renewed old frendships and some new ones. ken ct.

JM    -- 12-07-2014 @ 6:16 AM
  Ken, when you mentioned dealing with Antique Auto Batteries, I thought you were talking about the Optima they install in their original looking cases. Didn't know they sold Optima batteries separately. The 6v Red Top Optimas sold today are ~ 1/4" taller than the original design. This increase in height was required to make necessary improvements in the internal construction/connections at the top of their battery.
I thought one of the three Optima batteries I own was going bad, but it turned out to be a poor battery cable connection to the cars frame.

John

ken ct.    -- 12-07-2014 @ 8:18 AM
  Im going to clean all connections before I give it a go again.Waiting for a little warmer day to show up.

1934 Ford    -- 12-07-2014 @ 1:59 PM
  Just for the record I also had two Optima 6 volt batteries that I was not happy with. Mine lived no longer than the Interstate ones made by Johnson Controls.
I also went back to led acid batteries and battery tenders. Never got close to the 7 years expected life of the Optima.

1934 Ford's since 1972

JM    -- 12-08-2014 @ 7:14 PM
  Ken, just thought of another option for you. Larry Cossar sells a raised battery cover/door for '35-'36 Fords. This sheetmetal cover will allow the taller batteries to be used in the stock battery box while still allowing enough clearance for the posts and terminals. I bought one from Larry this year at the Gettysburg ENM just in case I ever wanted or needed to use a taller battery in any of my '35's. The cost of the higher cover was ~ $60.00.

John

JM    -- 12-08-2014 @ 7:15 PM

This message was edited by JM on 12-8-14 @ 7:17 PM

cliftford    -- 12-08-2014 @ 9:33 PM
  Here's what I was told by an Optima dealer at a recent swap meet: When Optima changed hands, they moved operations to Mexico because of environmental concerns. Some of the first batteries made there were defective, but the problem was solved and now they are high quality once again.

ken ct.    -- 12-08-2014 @ 10:52 PM
  John what state does Larry c. live in. So I can get his # out of the roster ! ken thanks for the tip. Though there is room on a 36 for the NAPA 19L battery using the stock cover. ken ct. Hoping for a warmer day to attack it again,lol..

trjford8    -- 12-09-2014 @ 7:24 AM
  Larry lives in New Hampshire

ken ct.    -- 12-09-2014 @ 7:45 AM
  Thank you ford 8. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7972