Topic: Change Backup Lights To Turn Signals HOW

murphy 1941    -- 07-21-2014 @ 8:21 PM
  If I take the connections to the backup lights which is mounted to the reverse arm within the engine area drivers side and connecticut it to the turn signal side of the brake light switch , would this work? Rather get know how directions before tackling this job. Thanks

Early Super Deluxe 41 Coupe

ken ct.    -- 07-21-2014 @ 9:14 PM
  John, why do you go by different names on here ???? ken ct.

TomO    -- 07-22-2014 @ 6:22 AM
  Light bulbs do not care where the voltage comes from. You can use the backup lights as turn signals if the bulbs are compatible with the flasher.

Tom

trjford8    -- 07-22-2014 @ 7:21 AM
  Check your state laws. You may need to use amber bulbs. Many states do not allow any bright white light showing to the rear. You cannot just take the wire off the backup light switch and move it to the turn switch or to the stop light switch. For the turn lamps to work correctly you need to separate each light in the circuit.

cliftford    -- 07-22-2014 @ 8:52 AM
  If I understand you correctly, what you propose to do would bypass the turn signals and both back ups would come on when you hit the brakes. you would need to splice each light into the proper turn signal wire, left light to rear left turn, and right light to right rear wire. personally, I would use the stop lights as turn signals, as on modern cars.

murphy 1941    -- 07-22-2014 @ 8:06 PM
  Ken I changed to Murphy 1941 from 1936 because when I put on a discussion or someone emailed me they assumed I had a 1936 On Ford bard I haven't had chance to change as wife is in rehab just out of hospital so I have to find out how to do the same on ford barn. John

murphy 1941    -- 07-22-2014 @ 8:11 PM
  Stop lights too small almost got rear ended. I plan to spray red paint on lenses that I understand is available for this type of change. I'll have to check and be sure of the color, amber or red as trifold suggested good thought. That's why I go to you experts who have good ideas and experience . Thanks to all of you john

Drbrown    -- 07-24-2014 @ 10:14 PM
  Recommend you CONSIDER the thin horizontal LED directional/brake/emergency supplemental unit by J & L Enterprises of Ellington CT. Call John at (860) 916-3582. Google their web site for example installation photos on old Fords, wiring diagram etc. Adds-on very simply, 6 or 12 volt, 10 foot wiring harness, clip connectors, does not alter/damage vehicle, removable, and more inconspicuous than many. Return if not satisfied. I chose that item over others and like it very much.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7525