Topic: Lloyd Young overdrive in 47 Ford convertible

flathead47    -- 07-17-2014 @ 1:06 PM
  Has anyone installed a Lloyd Young overdrive unit in a 47 ford convertible? Did it require any floor modifications? Any pros & cons .... Thank you

supereal    -- 07-17-2014 @ 8:51 PM
  I'm not famaliar with that type, but put a Ryan overdrive in my '47 convertible years ago. It mounts on the front of the rear end and didn"t require any floorboard mods. I used a cable to shift it, rather than the supplied lever. With a 3-78 rear, it allows me to cruise at normal highway speeds. It is a 33% reduction. I don't use it below 40 mph because it lugs down a bit. A 30% ratio would have probably have bee a better choice for non highway use.

flathead47    -- 07-18-2014 @ 5:47 AM
  Supereal....do you hsve any pictures of the ryan installed in the car? Lloyd young uses a borg warner overdrive unit adapted to the torque tube made for Model A's & V8's controlled electrically. Overdrive unit is mounted towards the rearend.

supereal    -- 07-18-2014 @ 11:15 AM
  I don't believe Ryan is still in business. I'll look in my file for some info.

Kenneth M.    -- 07-19-2014 @ 3:08 AM
  I had one of Lloyd overdrive in my 33 Coupe and did install one in a 48 Ford Woody wagon. They worked super. Never had a problem with his work. He will put them in any early antique car.He knows what he doing.

Kenneth M. Stewart

flathead47    -- 07-19-2014 @ 7:40 AM
  Kenneth would you have any pictures showing the overdrive installation in the 48 woody wagon .... Thanks

supereal    -- 07-19-2014 @ 12:01 PM
  This is how the Ryan OD unit mounts on the rear axle./

This message was edited by supereal on 7-19-14 @ 12:03 PM

supereal    -- 07-19-2014 @ 12:07 PM
  I'll Try again. Just updated my operating system so it is a different ballgame!

37 Coupe    -- 07-19-2014 @ 3:06 PM
  If you have a 47 Ford convertible,woody wagon or whatever do not cheapen it up with a Lloyd Young overdrive .Do without until you can deal for a Columbia. I live near Lloyd and at one time he wanted me to operate the large antique lathe that he fabricates the junkyard American Motors or whatever Borg Warner overdrive unit he can find. My first machine shop boss ended up working for him well into his nineties. Lloyd lost me 25 years ago telling me the Columbia was a very poorly engineered product and not as efficient as his.

supereal    -- 07-19-2014 @ 4:53 PM
  I tried, in vain, to find a Columbia that was complete with controls and speedometer shifter. Most were junk not close to the asking price. Columbias are specific to the year of the car, and were not a Ford accessory, even though most were dealer installed. For half the cost, I selected the Ryan, and can run safely at highway speeds. If I want to return to strictly stock, it can be done easily with no body mods to deal with, no vacuum plumbing, etc.

flathead47    -- 07-19-2014 @ 7:07 PM
  Supereal,the ryan file will not open , comes up as an error.

37 Coupe , thanks for your opinion , a columbia would be great , but Supereal is right , trying to find one that has been rebuilt correctly at a resonable price has not happened.

Several members of our regional group have factory overdrives in there 49 to 54 cars which are borg warner units & they work great.
Not sure how installing a Lloyd Young overdrive would cheapen the car if it can be done without any modifications to the floor, thats like saying a mitch*ll OD would do the same & several people are using them.
I really do not care how old Lloyds lathe is as long as the final product he produces is good & all reports say they are.
I use my car , enjoy driving with the top down & just want to reduce the rpm of the motor while on the highway so the motor will give me years of good service.
When I am ready to sell the car the original torque tube can go back in the car if required , in the mean time I just want to enjoy driving it.

Drbrown    -- 07-19-2014 @ 7:34 PM
  I have a Lloyd Young OD in my '47 Coupe. Mine is a Borg-Warner R10-B unit and as far as I know that is the brand he normally installs. Mine has many miles behind it and works fine. It is mounted about 8 inches forward of the differential - see photo. No body modifications were required.

supereal    -- 07-19-2014 @ 8:40 PM
  I know the photo won't open, but as soon as we figure out how upgrading to Windows 7 scr*w*d it up, I'll get it on. The Ryan couples directly to the banjo, and uses a special torque tube and drive shaft. If you want to return to stock, you unbolt the gearbox and put the original tube and shaft back on. I use a truck power takeoff cable and knob as a control, with the knob under the left side of the dash. I've worked on lots of B-W overdrives, and they are tough. You would have to put in a shift cable, kickdown switch, and associated wiring, requiring some experience.

TomO    -- 07-20-2014 @ 5:01 AM
  Supereal, I think that the problem is the file type that you are trying to upload. I don't think that the forum software supports the fpx format photos.

Tom

flathead47    -- 07-20-2014 @ 7:06 AM
  Drbrown , thanks for the picture , what rear end gear ratio are you using with the overdrive & tire size with this setup?
Any idea what rpm your motor is turning @ 65 mph.

Supereal that was my understanding about the B/W tough & easier to work on then the columbia

supereal    -- 07-20-2014 @ 10:41 AM
  Thanks, Tom. I'm fiddling with it until my college professor daughter, my computer guru, gets back.

supereal    -- 07-20-2014 @ 11:04 AM
  I'll try it again. The rear end is 3:78, tires 600x16. I haven't put a tach on it, but with the 33% reduction, it is likely to be about 1650 at 50 mph, and near 2000 at 65. The "sweet spot", where torque and horsepower meet, is 2,500, so it is about right. I don't drive on the Interstate much, even though it is just a couple of miles from my home. Too many 70-80 speed demons out there who don't understand that old cars are usually travelling at less than the limit, and they run up on us.

This message was edited by supereal on 7-20-14 @ 11:15 AM

flathead47    -- 07-20-2014 @ 11:15 AM
  Supereal.... the picture opens now , thanks for all the information ,it is very helpful.

Drbrown    -- 07-20-2014 @ 10:48 PM
  flathead47: My rear end is a 3.78 and I'm running stock 6.00 x 16 inch rims with Firestone bias-plies (I'd love radials someday). Regarding rpm @ 65 mph, I'd guess I'm turning around 2000 rpm with the OD engaged .... have a tack and will check this week. I drive on the interstate at 65 mph and the 59AB 100 hp is very comfortable at that. My BW unit is operated with the typical push/pull cable. I have an on/off toggle switch at dash with the relay mounted on the engine side of the firewall. Need to be stepping on the gas when engaging. I disengage at a stand-still and don't use the unit in first gear to avoid damaging the rear end during take-offs. No kick-down switch.

Lloyd is about age 83 now and still very active. I talked to him by phone this spring. He attends some Oklahoma shows and will bring along an order there. If you haven't talked to him and wish to, I'll give you his number - he's very knowledgeable. Keep in touch here. Dan

Kenneth M.    -- 07-22-2014 @ 4:27 AM
  I had a Lloyd Young in two of my cars. I also had a Columbia in my 39 Ford. The Columbia is 3 times the cost of a Columbia. BUT Lloyd Young overdrive works just as nice as a Columbia. It does not cheapen a car you can always change to a Columbia anytime. For a driver Youngs overdrive works nice. Its all up to the person.Its no big deal!

Kenneth M. Stewart

flathead47    -- 07-22-2014 @ 9:37 AM
  Dan , Ken , Supereal .... thanks for all your input.
I am going to look at an overdrive in torque assembly that came out of a 46 - 48 in my area.
Unit type still to be determined.
I have Lloyds number & will give him a call as well .

supereal    -- 07-22-2014 @ 2:31 PM
  I believe most of those are Mitch*lls. I chose the Ryan because I was wary of placing the unit in the center of the torque tube, adding unsprung weight. However, I haven't heard of those problems. The cost and installation of an OD is reasonable if you plan to do much highway travel. If most is around town or parades, etc, it is probably not necessary.

Drbrown    -- 07-24-2014 @ 10:32 PM
  My '47 is a driver; My BW-OD is located just in front of the differential thus avoiding any alterations to the car-frame.

I supplement Supereal's point. OD's get much more wear if one uses them mostly in city driving (or tries to) .... really not necessary given the cost. On the open road they obviously reduce fuel cost and engine/tranny wear .... our flatties love them.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7517