Topic: 40 Ford 6v-12v conversion fuse location

bwhitworth    -- 05-01-2014 @ 6:41 AM
  I am converting the electrical system from 6v to 12v and want to install at least one 30 amp fuse, where in the wiring do I put it?
I have a GM one wire Alternator connected the old Batt wire, will the amp gauge work with this arrangement.
Anyone have any tips about the conversion from 6v to 12v?

Thanks
Bob

cliftford    -- 05-01-2014 @ 8:03 AM
  I would put the fuse in the circuit that comes from the positive side of the the battery at or near the starter solenoid. attaching the alt. wire to the batt. wire should work. You will need voltage reducers for the heater motor and other 6 volt accessories. The instruments are another problem, since they are 6 volt positive ground. Your old starter will work, but take it easy when starting keep in mind it won't last as long. the radio if it is origional, is another thing,i'll leave that to the experts, but all of this is do-able.

CharlieStephens    -- 05-01-2014 @ 8:19 AM
  Tip, be sure that the 12 volts is negative ground so you can use all of the modern electronics. Are you sure you want to go to 12 volts, what is driving the change?

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 5-1-14 @ 8:21 AM

cliftford    -- 05-01-2014 @ 1:47 PM
  Other things to consider: If your new system is 12v negative ground, the ammeter will work backwards unless you reverse the wire going into it. I'm not sure how it will affect the other instruments, maybe someone has some input on this. The horn will also be affected, go 6v on it to retain the original sound.

42merc    -- 05-01-2014 @ 3:18 PM

If the '40 has the original gauges, it will have a voltmeter , no need to flop wires.

Drbrown    -- 05-01-2014 @ 3:22 PM
  Most has been mentioned already. You'll need the small individual 12 to 6 v reducers on three of your dash gauges (do the amp meter as clifford noted re the wire from the ALT to the BATT). Re my setup, I also removed the modern Amp gauge from my three-gauge under-dash cluster and substituted it with a volt meter. Also I used a modern heavy-duty 50 Amp circuit breaker at the BATT side of the Starter Solenoid mounted on the firewall to protect both the battery and alternator - if it flips, just pop open the cover and reset it. AND I installed MAD Electronics relays on my headlights and fog lights. Keep us posted. Dan

supereal    -- 05-02-2014 @ 5:26 PM
  If you have fused the alternator to battery circuit, be aware the if the fuse or breaker blows, it is likely the alternator output will immediately rise, causing damage to any components connected to the system.

supereal    -- 05-02-2014 @ 5:26 PM
  If you have fused the alternator to battery circuit, be aware the if the fuse or breaker blows, it is likely the alternator output will immediately rise, causing damage to any components connected to the system.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7280