Topic: How to tow 1936 Cabriolet

joe shell    -- 08-16-2013 @ 7:14 PM
  I'm relocating my 1936 Cabriolet about 85 miles away. The car runs fine and I don't expect any problems, however a friend will be following me just in case. I will take several pieces of rope with me for towing if necessary.

What is the best way to tow this car? I was thinking about making a yoke and tie it to the ends of the front axle, then attaching the tow rope to the yoke running it under the front bumper. Will this work without damaging the car?

Thanks,

Joe

fla48    -- 08-16-2013 @ 8:17 PM
  I would not tow the car with a rope. Get a U-Haul trailer and trailer it. Their new trailers are light,easy to use and cheap. It will save you a lot of headaches and possible damage to your early iron.

42wagon    -- 08-17-2013 @ 4:13 AM
  Joe
Bad idea towing a car - any car - with a rope. Pulling one out of a ditch okay, put not towing any distance. The big problem is what do you do when you want to stop. The towed car is going to roll forward until it hits the back of the towing car. Or maybe the rope will fray and break allowing the towed car to go off on its own. Very bad idea, Forget it.

TomO    -- 08-17-2013 @ 7:13 AM
  If you meet a law reinforcement official while towing your car with a rope, you will probably get an official tow. These official tows cost more than a motor club annual dues for 3 years. In my area, they range from $125 to $300 for a tow to the impound lot. You will also have to pay a days storage fee.

Join a Motor Club like the AAA and if you have a breakdown, the will tow you safely to the nearest service facility, where you can have your car serviced or arrange other means of transporting it.

Tom

dicker    -- 08-24-2013 @ 1:36 PM
  At 80 years old, I forget how many old cars I have towed, several for hundreds of miles, without any problems. BUT, listen to the rest of the guys and either trust your car or get it towed the right way.

Dick Kurtz

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6417