Topic: '36 roof replacement

1883warren    -- 08-07-2013 @ 8:52 PM
  I put a new top on my '36 tudor a couple of years ago, a kit from Mac's in NY. I don't think I left enough top material that tucks into the groove, held by the rubber.
Does anybody know exactly how much should be left to tuck in ?.... I'm now guessing about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch.
I found it makes the job easier if you use 3M Supper Yellow to glue the Naugahyde to the lip of the roof rail first, I started in the centers of both ends, then the side centers, glued that down with all taut, then expand on to the corners. This holds the material in place. Then trim the material, tuck it in and put the rubber in place, starting from the center rear and ending there.
But... I didn't allow enough excess to tuck in, the car is so tight that shutting the doors caused the roof to 'puff' and eventually started to pull the material loose at the front & rear.
Also... I tacked the chicken wire to the wood only, do not let it touch the body steel, as this is your radio antenna. I soldered a shielded wire on, ran that down inside the right side windshield post, the radio works perfect and no antenna in sight. AM radio... tubes, center ash tray dial & knobs.
Does somebody know for sure how much excess to allow, to tuck in the groove ??...
Thanks guys,
Warren

Don Rogers    -- 08-08-2013 @ 8:26 AM
  When I did my panel delivery roof, I left plenty of excess and trimed it after the weather seal was installed. Initially I used small plugs made from the old weather seal to hold the top material in place. See photo.

trjford8    -- 08-08-2013 @ 6:32 PM
  Don's reply is excellent. You should have enough excess material that you need to trim it off around the outside edge of the seal. Use small chunks of the old seal to hold the top material in place while you are installing the new seal. Remove them as you move around the edge when putting in the new seal. The new seal may need a little lubricant on the edges so it goes into the groove easier. You can use a very small amount of dish soap on the edges of the seal that go into the groove.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6388