Topic: pilot bearing removal

MICHV8    -- 09-25-2012 @ 6:38 AM
  I need to replace the release bearing on a 36 (later engine that has an "A" on the bell housing). Is replacing the pilot bearing at the same time recommended? Is a blind hole puller required for the pilot removal? Thanks!

This message was edited by MICHV8 on 9-25-12 @ 6:40 AM

carcrazy    -- 09-25-2012 @ 9:15 AM
  It is always a good idea to replace the pilot bearing when replacing any of the other clutch parts. A trick I use to get the old pilot bearing out is to fill the cavity behind the pilot bearing and the hole in it with heavy grease and use a wooden dowel with a diameter that just fits inside the I.D. of the bearing. Once you have the cavity fully filled with grease, simply insert the dowel into the hole and hit it with a hammer. The hydraulic pressure acting on the bearing will easily force it out.

Henryat1140    -- 09-25-2012 @ 11:56 AM
  (Joke on self)

I tried this method, but thought, hey, what the heck peanut butter is an incompressible substance and it should work.

So I packed the hole behind the pilot bearing with peanut butter, using what I had on hand which was Sam's Club crunchy.

Ok all is going well until I tried to find a tool that would fit tightly into the inner diameter of the bearing. Tried lots of things, deep well sockets, various pieces of rod stock etc. Every time I'd try to smack the tool, peanut butter came oozing out around it.

After about an hour of this, I gave up and borrowed a puller.

So, better luck to you than stupid me had, but it was good for a laugh.

Regards

Henry

ford38v8    -- 09-25-2012 @ 12:23 PM
  Henry, Next time use Skippy Creamy Peanut Butter. It will flow through your zerk fittings without clogging up so often.

Alan

JM    -- 10-01-2012 @ 8:21 PM

This message was edited by JM on 10-3-12 @ 4:25 PM

JM    -- 10-01-2012 @ 8:25 PM
  Borrow or buy a slide hammer bearing puller that fits into the ID of the bushing/bearing and expands to give a projection against the back face of the bushing or inner race of the ball bearing. Slide the hammer back and forth a couple times to impact the bushing/bearing out of the flywheel.

JM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5243