Topic: Electronic ignition

paxton    -- 09-15-2012 @ 10:07 AM
  Currently running a 2 bolt 46 style distrib with remote coil and obtained a SPEEDWAY 3 bolt electronic dist self contained style. (no external box) If the timing cover is changed to the earlier 3 bolt style, can the electronic distrib be used without any other changes? I see a spacer button avail from speedway as well as various spacer plates. Thanks

supereal    -- 09-15-2012 @ 12:19 PM
  I'd obtain the correct unit rather than adapt the timing gear and cover. I'm not a big fan of electronic conversions. They appear to be a solution in search of a problem. The stock distributor, properly set up and in good condition, will usually run ten thousand miles or more, enough for most old cars for years. At our shop, we have had to replace electronic units because they were temperature sensitive, and caused more problems thn they solved.

Stroker    -- 09-15-2012 @ 2:59 PM
  The three-bolt and two-bolt timing covers will fit all flatheads from 32-53 without
modification. Cam spacers are needed when swapping various cam/ignition hybrids. Like
Supereal, I'm not a fan of "electronic" ignitions, with the exception of the MSD No. 8353. If you are running a blown/turbo'd racing engine, these are remarkable, but
very costly.

TomO    -- 09-16-2012 @ 9:45 AM
  The spacer configuration depends upon the camshaft.

37-41 cam, 3 bolt dist no adapter
37-41 cam, 2 bolt dist adapter plate needed
42-48 cam, 2 bolt dist no adapter
42-48 cam, 3 bolt dist, adapter plug needed and vacuum line needed for vacuum brake.

I agree with the others that the electronic distributors cause more problems than they fix. Points last at least 15,000 miles on the dual point distributor and when they begin to fail, they just cause a miss or hard starting. They won't leave you stuck on the side of the road.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=5201