Topic: Is there a way to determine who was the origional

dicky    -- 12-22-2009 @ 8:21 AM
  I have a limited history of my 1935 ford Cabriolet. I was wondering how I would go about finding the origional owner of my car.

wmsteed    -- 12-22-2009 @ 8:46 AM
  Since Ford did not incorporate any tractable information, e.g. plant location, date of manufacture, etc. in the VIN's used prior to '49, there is no way to pin point the origin of the early V8's.
If Ford had documented the point of the vehicle assembly in lieu of their system of assigning the VIN to the engine/trans when it was built in Detroit, a person would have a clue as to where to start looking.
If a person does not have a written/verbal history of their early V8 from previous owners they are out of luck.
I am lucky with my '36, I have owned it for 56 years. The original owner was my high school wood shop teacher, however I don't know if the car was sold new in Idaho Falls, or if the teacher brought the car with him if he relocated from another area?

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

dicky    -- 12-28-2009 @ 8:56 AM
  Thanks, I was just hoping I gould get som history of my car.

watwasithinking    -- 01-10-2010 @ 7:25 PM
  In response to the original post....In Florida, recently while transferring a title, the local DMV without asking, did a title background check by entering my 1936 Ford seller's title number and VIN (engine number)and the following information popped up on the computer screen. The records show that the vehicle had been originally titled in Iowa and then California. The records showed the dates of the titles changing hands but does not show the owners' names. The clerk gave me a print out of this information. It shows that the original Iowa owner sold to a person in California in 1977 and that owner sold to another Californian in 2003. I purchased the car from this owner. As stated, the print out shows only title numbers and the dates of the title transfers. With a little research I believe one could obtain the owners' names. I would suggest that you approach your local DMV office and simply ask the clerk to do a title background search for you and see what happens.

BenHamber    -- 09-18-2021 @ 11:48 AM
  The suggestion to approach your local DMV office and do some background research is a good idea.

Ben,
Assistant at the DMV office
Colorado Springs
https://dmvnearmenow.com/office/colorado-springs-dmv-80909/

51woodie    -- 09-18-2021 @ 12:22 PM
  Not sure about BenHamber and the link he posted. This is his first post, and although I live in Canada, any government agency usually end in a .gov, .ca, or something like that. Maybe I’m just an old guy that is too suspicious.

40 Coupe    -- 09-19-2021 @ 4:31 AM
  In Ohio the DMV will cite privacy laws and not reveal any info. Look for dealer stickers on the door sides of jams. Approach the previous owner to see if they remember their previous owners name and location.

3w2    -- 09-19-2021 @ 4:51 PM
  A further negative is that not all of states issued titles, but rather just registrations. Illinois and New York were not title states at that time.

By the way, in Florida they do the title search as matter of course, whether you want them to or not. The purpose is to see if there any open issues with the history of the car, such as it having been stolen.

This message was edited by 3w2 on 9-19-21 @ 8:50 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=487