Topic: Electric fuel pump

wmsteed    -- 05-05-2012 @ 9:39 AM
  I have noted several topics on this forum regarding questions about installing an electric fuel pump for emergency use and/or to prime an engine that has not ran in awhile. I have used electric pumps in such a manner on many of my old cars for over thirty years.
I have recently experienced trouble with my electric pumps failing, I suspect from the exposure to the new unleaded fuels.
I made note several months ago that 'Airtex' made a pump that could be used in conjunction with the mechanical pump, however, it seems that I failed to write the number down.
Could someone please supply me with the number for an electric pump that will allow the mechanical pump to draw fuel through it....

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

bo8109b    -- 05-05-2012 @ 11:48 AM
  The low pressure 6 volt Airtex electric pump is E8902.

37 Coupe    -- 05-05-2012 @ 5:34 PM
  I think that is the one I bought,I know it was the Airtex one and not the 5-8psi one,it supposedly was 2-4 but not labeled as such. I just never could get it to work on 6 volts positive ground as it was advertised. The Airtex rep even made it more confusing saying yes it will work on 6 volt positive ground but you have to isolate it when mounting to the frame and and hook it up as a negative ground,how could that be a 6 volt positive ground pump? Anyway it wouldn't work for me and I took it back. Still always wanting to have one for a backup as I had trouble getting off a major highway with mechanical pump failure and a rollback ride home.I still think the low pressure ones are regular 5-8psi 12 volt ones that will run half that on 6 volts,if they do work.My story anyway.

trjford8    -- 05-06-2012 @ 7:29 AM
  Here are some part numbers I have for the electric pumps; AC # EP425, Carter # P4070, Airtex #E18016, Autozone (master brand) # E 8016S.

supereal    -- 05-06-2012 @ 8:48 AM
  We use the pumps sold by C&G (800/266-0470). They are sold in both 6 and 12 volt versions, and come complete with mounting bracket, hose, hose barbs, filter, and clamps. The part numbers are 11A-9350-E6 (6 volt), and 11A-9350-E12 (12 volt). The power leads are separate from the pump body, and can be used on both negative and positive ground systems.

wmsteed    -- 05-06-2012 @ 9:42 AM
  Thank you everyone for your partial reply's to my question.
However, as I stated in my question; I need to know what electric fuel pump (s) can be used in conjunction with the mechanical pump which will allow the mechanical pump to draw fuel through the electric pump...
I have gone to NAPA, CARQUEST and AutoZone all of which had electric pumps made by Carter, Airtex and Purolator, most of which, with the exception of the Purolator, are rotary type pumps that are made for carburated engines to REPLACE a mechanical pump that has failed..
Reading through the product descriptions for the pumps clearly said that the pumps were meant to replace mechanical pumps on vehicles, stationary and or marine engines.
Of course the countermen at all of the stores were clueless, they kept asking what year vehicle I wanted the pump (s) for.. They needed to look up the application info in their computers.
I need 6v and 12v pumps because the aux electric pumps have failed on my '36 coupe and '57 Bird.
Thanks again for for the help....

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

wmsteed    -- 05-06-2012 @ 9:44 AM
  Thank you Super... I knew you would come through for me..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 05-06-2012 @ 9:49 AM
  Bill: The pumps from C&G are "pass thru" type, so the mechanical pump is not affected. We have used several brand pumps over the years with famous names such as "Delco", but most were disphragm type, and alcohol gas destroyed them. I use the C&G pump mostly to prime my car after long periods of inactivity. It really reduces cranking time. After setting from last September to this March, it started on the first try. The electric pump got me home a couple of times over the years, even when the gas line partially plugged with rust and dirt that prevented the stock pump from keeping up. The trick with these pumps is to mount the as close to the tank as possible because fuel pumps push better than they pull.

Old Henry    -- 05-06-2012 @ 12:51 PM
  Here is the AirTex 8902 that I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRTEX-E8902-6-VOLT-FUEL-PUMP-2-5psi-4psi-25gph-30gph-PRIMER-PUMP-FUEL-PUMP-/230786712422?hash=item35bbf5c366&item=230786712422&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

It is a flow though as had been described. I use it just for priming or backup. Rarely on and it lets the mechanical pump flow through fine.

Old Henry
(The older I get, the better old looks.)

This message was edited by Old Henry on 5-6-12 @ 12:52 PM

wmsteed    -- 05-07-2012 @ 9:08 AM
  Thank you again Super, and to the other replies.
The 'pass-through' type of pump is what I am looking for.
I have ran aux electric pumps on the majority of my vehicles, old V8's, newer V8's and RV's since about 1952... An electric pump will stop a vapor lock right now.
In 1952 I had a job waiting for me with Standard Oil in one of their Inc. Stations. I had to attend a three week training school in Ogden UT before I could go to work. I left Idaho Falls late in the afternoon for the 195 mile drive to Ogden.. Leaving Idaho into Utah I had to cross over the Malad Pass.. It was very late at night and my Ford quit running.. Bad fuel pump. I tried all of the usual tricks, removing the pump, cutting leather from my belt to put up in the push rod cup to increase the throw.. Nothing worked.
I walked to a very small farm town about ten miles away, the only thing open was a beer bar.. No help there..
A '38 Ford parked on the street very kindly donated it's fuel pump to my cause.. I walked back to my car, installed the pump and headed for Ogden, making it about two hours before I had to report to the school.
I have never ran a Ford V8 without a aux electric pumps since that time.
The above caper is not one of the proudest events of my life, however, I have been on my own since I was seventeen.. I needed that job with Standard Oil very badly.. I have wondered many times how the owner of the '38 reacted when his car started and died within a few feet, only to discover that his fuel pump was gone.
I have learned the hard way that if a fuel pump, electric or mechanical, does not list that it is compatible with unleaded and/or alcohol based fuels, don't use the pump.. I have had 'new pumps' fail in less than six months..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4634