Topic: Old 32/50cp headlight bulbs - FORD

1883warren    -- 03-20-2012 @ 5:14 PM
  Sure, we can buy 50cp headlight bulbs from Mac's and others, but the old originals, made by Carlton, GE, Westinghouse and others are THE best. I wired my '36 Ford with #12 wire from the sector switch, and #10 wire from the feed to the switch. In other words, all oversize wires. I soldered a GROUND wire to each and all sockets, with #12 wire, to a central solid ground. Forget these repro' looms, they are junk.
I have learned that the old '36 to '39 bulbs for all MoPar and Hudson have the number 2331. I think that the number that fits our Fords is 2531 but that is not for certain.
Does anybody KNOW what the number is for FORD ?? There are always these pre-focused bulbs on eBay, but nobody knows what they fit, and they are not all the same.
Does anybody know....??...

1883warren    -- 03-20-2012 @ 5:55 PM
  I also wired my '54 Ford the same way...oversize wires and it has lights that are as good as our new vehicles.
I did cheat a little with my '36, by installing a 30 amp generator with a regulator, all 6 volt. The '39 Standard Fords had the manifold mounted generator, with a pulley that had the fan attachment mount and these will fit the earlier V8's and give plenty of power for 50cp lights and a radio besides. I'm using re-pro' 32/50cp bulbs now and my '36 also has great lights, but am looking for the correct old original 50cp bulbs as they are better and brighter, especially on HI beam, as compared to the new re-pro's.
And, like I mentioned...a GROUND wire, soldered direct to each socket, front and tail, is a MUST if you want dependable bright lights.
Warren

G Tosel    -- 03-20-2012 @ 8:29 PM
  According to the 35-36 Ford Book the standard headlamp bulb is a 32/32 CP bulb commercially available as 2330.

Don Rogers    -- 03-23-2012 @ 7:32 AM
  I use a head lamp with a 50 cp high beam and 32 cp low beam and a tail lamp with a 6 cp running filament and a 21 cp stop filament. Here is a diagram showing both lamps.

Don Rogers

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4488