Topic: Steering Wheel Removal, 1950 Truck

51f1    -- 03-18-2012 @ 5:56 AM
  Does anyone know how to remove a steering wheel which doesn't have the tapped holes for the puller? I have a friend with a '50 truck who is trying to remove the steering wheel, but there are no tapped holes in the hub to attach a puller to. I have never seen a wheel without the tapped holes. The parts manual specifies part no. 7RT-3600-B for the '48-'50 models. The wheel for the '50-'52 models, 8T-3600, have "two puller holes." I guess he got the earlier wheel which, I infer, didn't have tapped holes.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 3-18-12 @ 6:05 AM

bonusbuilt1950    -- 03-18-2012 @ 8:15 AM
  That tool number is a steering wheel puller that has 3 arms that go behind the spokes of the wheel and has a center piece like the normal pullers that thread into those holes on the later ones. My wheel on my 50 is the same way. I couldn't find a puller like that, so I had to do it another way. I sprayed p b blaster oil around the shaft in the center of the wheel. then I backed the nut off so the threads of the shaft were recessed a little in the nut. I found a bolt that would just fit in the shaft and not be sloppy. Put a washer on it and put in the shaft. This is to help you do not destroy the threads. Take the horn parts off first and put the nut back on. Have someone tap the bolt while you sit directly in front of the steering wheel and pull towards you as hard as you can. Mine came off after a few of tries. Hit the bolt squarely and sharply to break the tapered fit of the wheel. It's not the correct way, but in a pinch, it works.

Barry

50 F-1

trjford8    -- 03-18-2012 @ 8:15 AM
  There's a couple of options you can try. First you can drill and tap holes in the wheel center to accomodate a puller. Or you can loosen the nut, put some Liquid Wrench around the splines of the wheel and let it set for a day or two. Then bring the nut level with the top of the threads and tap on the nut with a hammer while a second person pulls up on the wheel.

51f1    -- 03-19-2012 @ 9:08 PM
  Thanks for the replys. I wasn't there, so I can't tell you exactly what he did, but he did get it off. He may respond to this tread and let you know. I believe he used 2 c-clamps against the nut on the shaft and under the wheel. He had already decided to buy a new wheel. He also used penetrating oil on the shaft.

We had talked about drilling and tapping two holes for the puller, and, as a last resort, we were going to use a cold chisel and a 12-15 pound hammer to drive it up from the bottom!

Richard

ststiltn    -- 03-20-2012 @ 6:33 PM
  Thanks to all who answered the question posed by my friend and mentor Richard on my behalf. When I took everything apart there were no holes to apply the puller to. I ended up putting the nut back on and applying 2 C clamps to it and the underside of the steering wheel. I then put pressure on each C clamp and it came loose. Richard is a great resource for those who have questions and is a true representative of what the Early V8 Club is about.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4472