Topic: 36 Pickup gas mileage

Brendan    -- 03-17-2012 @ 8:33 AM
  I have a 36 pickup that is all orignal,has a 35 motor in it, the motor is farly fresh. my pickup has a 411 rear and 700:16 in the rear. i am geting about 9 miles to the gallon. last week i put on a K and N air filter. that seemed to make a diffrence in the way it runs. what else can i do to help get some better milage?
Brendan

Can't spell my way out of a paper bag!

carcrazy    -- 03-17-2012 @ 10:40 AM
  There are many things you can do to improve the mileage. The first is to make sure that everything is in good condition and that the distributor and the carburetor are properly adjusted. Check your tires to make sure the wheel alignment is correct and that the tire pressures are where they should be. Make sure that none of the brakes are dragging - you can check this out by raising each wheel off of the ground and rotating the wheel to see that it rotates freely. Do not carry heavy items in the truck unless absolutely necessary. Once you are convinced that everything is operating as well as it should you can do other things that cost more money like changing the rear axle ratio to a taller one such as a 3:78 or a 3:54. This will allow the engine to turn less RPM for a given vehicle speed. This can be overdone if the engine has to work so hard to maintain speed that the manifold vacuum drops low enough to cause the carburetor economizer (fuel enrichment) valve to open.
Good luck on your endeavors to improve the fuel economy. Please let us know what you find.

RSS    -- 03-17-2012 @ 1:30 PM
  Brendan, Is your speedometer accurate? 700/16 tires require a speedometer drive change from stock. Randy

Brendan    -- 03-17-2012 @ 5:42 PM
  oups i have 650;16 in the rear, do you mean toe in, toe out for front end alignment?

carcrazy    -- 03-17-2012 @ 7:35 PM
  Yes, toe-in and toe-out.

Brendan    -- 03-18-2012 @ 6:15 AM
  i will take my truck to get the toe in checked, i rebuilt the front end and only set it up with a tape mesure!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4467