Topic: Idle Adjustment- Stromberg 97

6lucky13    -- 02-24-2012 @ 12:39 PM
  I am bringing my 36 Cabriolet back to life after almost 8 years of sitting. I oiled the cylinders and it started up nicely after the fourth attempt! I used fresh gas and bypassed the gas tank. Now I am trying to adjust the idle mixture on the Stromberg 97 (EE-1) carburetor. Turning the idle screws completely in does not cause the engine to stumble or lag. I think it is running very rich. What is the possible cause(s)? What should I look for when I take the carburetor apart?

Thanks.

supereal    -- 02-24-2012 @ 3:24 PM
  If turning the idle screws clear in doesn't affect the idle, it is likely that the throttle plate (butterfly) is not completely closing the space between the two discharge holes. There are two discharge holes in the 97 in the area of the throttle plate. Only the lower discharge is subjected to intake manifold vacuum, and thus affected by the needles. As the throttle is opened, the plate is moved above the upper hole, and fuel is delivered thru both holes. I suspect your engine is idling only on the upper discharge hole.It is also possible that the idle needles have been damaged at some time by forcing them tight against their seats. Take them out and examine them carefully to see that the taper isn't damaged. If you need a diagram of the Stromberg carb, I can post one.

6lucky13    -- 05-05-2012 @ 1:42 PM
  Supereal,
I’m finally getting back on this issue. Thank you for your response. I checked the items you noted in your reply and all were OK. Actually, the problem was due to an incorrectly sized accelerator linkage rod. I replaced the 10½” rod with the correct 10¾” rod and all is well!

supereal    -- 05-05-2012 @ 2:35 PM
  Good news. Bringing an old car back to life is sort of an archeolgical expedition. These old vehicles had to survive the time they were just "old cars", and were subject to the "shade tree" mechanics who, more often than not, "jury rigged" them to run. I had one like that in high school in the 40's. It was a Model A with three 19 inch wheels and one 600X16. The steering wheel was a pair of vise grips with a "necker knob" attached. We would fill the radiator at each end of the run to school in order to get home. Old Fords were, and are, among the best survivors!

Stroker    -- 05-05-2012 @ 3:25 PM
  Super: You and I need to sit down on the bank of the Iowa River so I can share with you my
experiences with a 33 chassis and Mrs. Stobe's couch. You would appreciate the 4-abreast seating
arrangement with the driver being the second from left-hand couch lizard.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4373