Topic: Starting Stored Engine

old 40 guy    -- 02-23-2012 @ 10:19 AM
  I have purchased a '39 panel truck that has been in storage for 20 years. Before storage, the gas tank was removed/ drained, fuel lines and carb drained, truck on blocks. Engine was rebuilt and truck was driven 150 miles prior to storage. Seller provided receipts for rebuild - looks like it was done properly. I have changed engine oil, but have not attempted to start engine or manually turn over. Wanted to check with the forum about suggested procedure for starting - don't want to damage anything.

Also, electrical system was upgraded from 6 to 8 volts - voltage regulator was adjusted to provide 8 volts for battery charging. What is effect on lights and gauges (gauge damage or erroneous readings) of this upgrade ?? Is this upgrade a good idea and what else should be done ??

Thanks,

Dick G.

supereal    -- 02-23-2012 @ 11:16 AM
  The process is always "iffy", If the engine is "loose", and can be turned over easily with the spark plugs out, we spray a bit of Marvel Oil into each cylinder to increase compression, and help address the usual light rust on the cylinder walls. It is likely that the years have turned any sludge into rocklike stuff, but if you can spin the engine enough with the starter when the plugs are out and get a bit of oil pressure, it is probably worth a try to start it. I'd replace the belt and the hoses before you fill the cooling system, as it is likely they have begun to shed internally. Prime the intake with a bit of gas, assuming the the cranking has allowed the fuel pump to refill the carb, and give starting a try. If it doesn't fire, a shot or two of starting fluid may help, but don't overdo it. As for the eight volts, it has been a "crutch" for years to mask a weak battery, a worn generator and starter, and worn or inadequate battery cables, as well as an aged ignition coil. I'd install an Optima battery, a new 6 volt regulator, and observe the charging, or lack of it. Using 8 volts will shorten the life of the lights, points, etc. Good luck with your new purchase and let us know how you are doing with it. Many vehicles that were put into storage were done so because of problems. I'm sure you will discover plenty of surprises.

old 40 guy    -- 02-23-2012 @ 4:59 PM
  Thanks Supereal for a very helpful reply - as always. Will keep you posted on progress on starting engine. I intend to keep electrical system at 6 volts.

Dick G.

51f1    -- 02-24-2012 @ 6:10 AM
  I think that the best thing you can do is put some oil into the cylinders, crank the engine with the plugs out until you get oil pressure and continue cranking for a few seconds to be sure everything is lubricated. Also make sure you have fuel to the carb by removing the fuel line and observing the flow from the line into a jar. Put the plugs back in, and start 'er up.

If the electrical system is maintained properly, you don't need an 8-volt battery.

Richard

alanwoodieman    -- 02-24-2012 @ 8:54 AM
  what a find!! pull plugs add MMO down the cylinders, fresh oil and filter if it has one,crank over by hand and let the MMO coat the cylinder wall, fresh gas from a gravity can to the carb and clean points in distributor-they will sort of skim over, not really corrode, check for spark by spinning engine over with plugs out. Fresh spark plugs and let her go, good luck!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4365