Topic: Identification of V8 intake manifold

1932BB    -- 01-07-2012 @ 2:14 PM
  I have an aluminum one barrel carb intake manifold that I believe is a 33 however doubts have been expressed. It looks similar to a 32 but it has a later style generator mount and the fuel pump is mounted on the filler tube like later manifolds. There is a casting mark where the filler tube was on the 32. I have heard that early 34's had a one barrel carb also but I cannot find the source. I am unable to attach a picture to this website but can on e-mail.I would appreciate any info. Thanks!

Stroker    -- 01-07-2012 @ 4:34 PM
  It could be a late 32, as Ford dropped the post-type mount mid-year in 32. I believe all
34's used the Stromberg 48 2-bbl. If you want the real skinny, consider purchasing the Club's resto-manual for model 48's.

1932BB    -- 01-07-2012 @ 5:45 PM
  Stroker.
The 32 book does not indicate a change from the post mount intake manifold to the later generator mount in 32.

3w2    -- 01-07-2012 @ 6:26 PM
  Notwithstanding the questionable design merits of the '32 V-8 post generator mount, it was continued throughout the '32 model year.

If your '33 single barrel manifold has the fuel pump mounted on the oil filler tube and there is no evidence whatsoever that the oil filler tube was originally installed ahead of the diamond-shaped opening at the extreme rear of the manifold, it could well be a very rare late '33 manifold that utilized what is commonly thought of as a '34 fuel pump instead of being modified post-production to accept the later pump (as many manifolds were). In other words, were there originally two openings in the rear of the manifold (and the round opening now has a plug in it) or just one? (A photo would be very helpful at walmer111@aol.com.)

1932BB    -- 01-08-2012 @ 6:36 AM
  There is no "plug" in the area where the earlier oil filler tube went. It appears to be a cast in "boss" that was never machined open. I will e-mail two pictures one from the top and one from the bottom. This configuration does seem to be rare as several people on a popular related website seem to think I am misrepresenting the manifold and related parts. Your help is surely appreciated. Thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4190