Topic: 1938 Ford Deluxe Sedan Dash

DadsFord    -- 05-01-2011 @ 12:03 PM
  When Dad had the car restored some years ago it was completely dissembled and preped down to the metal. Unfortunantly the dash was spray painted a light brown. Is it possible to restore it to the original finish which as I remember was, for lack of a better description, a simulated wood?

40guy    -- 05-01-2011 @ 1:01 PM
  The process is called Woodgraining. Good news and bad news. The good news is there are many people who do this. The bad news is, it ain't cheap. I'm not going to recommend anyone because the only person who ever Woodgrained for me is long gone. I'm sure others here can direct you to a good Woodgrainer.

Stroker    -- 05-01-2011 @ 4:28 PM
  I have a similar problem with my 38 Deluxe, except the one to blame is me. I repainted the badly deteriorated dash in the late 60's, and would like to fine a quality wood grainer as well.

I've seen some processes that are probably very similar to the original lithographic Ford system,
wherein they "float" a woodgrain decal onto the surface of the dash. I've seen some work done by true artists, and I believe there are some "kits" out there that more talented folk than I have used to success.

Like you, I'm hoping some others will chime in on this subject. If you log in, and do a search of the postings on this site, you will find several threads on this subject.

DadsFord    -- 05-01-2011 @ 6:17 PM
  What key words did you use to find earlier threads?

Stroker    -- 05-01-2011 @ 6:24 PM
  try "woodgraining" and search the past 365 days.

40guy    -- 05-01-2011 @ 7:50 PM
  Like I said; my woodgrainer is gone, but if I did have to find another one I would start with Grain-It Technologies in FL. 863-299-4494.....www.woodgraining.com Just a start.

TomO    -- 05-02-2011 @ 7:11 AM
  Lauren Matley is recommended by many Club members. He is listed in the Roster and is the Club's Paint Advisor.

Here is a link to another company that does good work.

http://mmcustomfinishing.com/Site/Home.html

Tom

trjford8    -- 05-03-2011 @ 7:58 AM
  Also if you live on the west coast check your roster for Bob Kennedy in Whittier, Ca. He does excellent work.I also agree with TomO that Lauren Mately does excellent work.

DadsFord    -- 05-03-2011 @ 8:35 AM
  Thanks for all of the suggestions. How difficult is it to remove the dash for restoring? Is this necessary, or can it be done in the car? From the videos it seems doing restoration in the car would be quite diffficult.

Taz

CharlieStephens    -- 05-03-2011 @ 8:40 AM
  You should add your general location to your profile. It is best to have a local person do work like this since you can see examples of previous and examine the finished product before you pick it up.

Charlie Stephens

TomO    -- 05-04-2011 @ 8:27 AM
  It is much easier to wood grain the dash when it is out of the car. The process requires a base coat be sprayed on the dash and then the wood grain coat followed by a clear coat to seal the wood grain. All of these steps require unobstructed access to the dash.

To remove your dash, disconnect the wiring from the gauges, disconnect the windshield opening mechanism, remove the trim around the windshield, remove the bolts holding the steering column to the dash, remove the 2 bolts on the bottom corners and then remove the screws by the windshield. The dash should come out. If I forgot something, you will find out when you try to remove it.

It took me 1 hour to remove my 40 dash the first time, so you can see that it takes almost as long to describe the procedure as it takes to do it.

Tom

john38coupe    -- 05-04-2011 @ 6:27 PM
  I just recently had my 38's dash and window garnish moldings done by a gentleman who lives in Titusville, Pa. He has 30 years experience, advertises at Hershey every year and did a super job for a very reasonable rate and I shopped around. I first went to his shop and observed his work - impressive. His # is 814-827-1782 (Bill) Hope this helps.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2986