Topic: 34 Roadster inst. light

Keystone 34 3w    -- 09-08-2010 @ 8:04 PM
  Is a 34 Roadster dash light bracket assembly the same as a closed car dash light? I have a spare light I want to put in the Roadster but I dont see two little holes like in a closed car dash. Does it just screw into the wood above the speedo? There is no evidence of screw holes in the wood that I can see. Any help would be appreciated. This is a Dearborn winner with no dash light but the switch is there.

Keystone 34 3w    -- 09-08-2010 @ 8:06 PM
  instrument light

39 Ken    -- 09-09-2010 @ 5:31 AM
  Keystone 34 3w, I can't answer your light question, but I really like the "Ford Cheese Cake". She looks to be really "Light" on her feet .

1934 Ford    -- 09-10-2010 @ 5:23 AM
  Wood??? I assumed yours in a Australian 34. My 34's don't have wood in the dash.
The U.S. dash lights mount between the instruments and shine through the slots in the sided of the gauge housing. My light sockets mount on the gauge retainer studs.
If I had a wooden dash I would mount the lights on the back of the dash at 10 AM and 2 PM so the light would shine into the speedometer and the fuel guage at 10 and into the speedo and ampmeter at 2.
The metal dash is thin so the slits in the edge are behind the dash. I would think your wood would be too thick to allow the US guages to work the same way.
Are the Australian guages different?

carguy    -- 09-10-2010 @ 6:16 AM
  Hmmm. Dash light. Is this a roadster thing or should my '34 Cabriolet have one too?

1934 Ford    -- 09-11-2010 @ 7:24 AM

Carguy,
Look at the edges of you guages and see the slots with the opaque plastic covers that let the light shine in from the sides of the gauges. I've not seen instruments without them. My 34 Tudor, 34 Fordor and 34 Phaeton all have them and dash lights. You should have them too.

Keystone 34 3w    -- 09-11-2010 @ 1:01 PM
  I never said my dash was wood, but there is a wooden piece that runs across the top above the dash instrument panel. My Tudor, 3 Window and Cabriolet all have instrument lights mounted on the steel tang that sits directly above the speedo and accepts two screws that hold the light bracket like you saw in the above pictures. Now I just can`t see how the same light braket can mount in a roadster or maybe even pheaton since the dashes are different. Do I need a different light holder is my question ? And what does the light bracket mount to ? Thanks for replies.

BrianCT    -- 09-11-2010 @ 7:04 PM
  page
6-19 in the 33-34book. the light bracket was spot welded to back of dash on roadster and phaeton. you need that book!!!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1830