Topic: 36 and 37 steering column tube grommet

BRL    -- 04-19-2024 @ 9:10 AM
  Hi Guys:
I am restoring my steering column in my 37 Phaeton and have the steering tube out. I pressed the upper bearing (40-3517-A) out and have a replacement as you see in the attached photo. Below the upper bearing, just next to the oblong hole in the tube, there was a plastic sleeve or grommet. When I attempted to press it out it crumbled and fell apart...see photo. From my parts book, this appears to be "steering shaft grommet", part number B-3533. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? Does anyone know the purpose of this part?....it is not readily apparent to me the function of the grommet. It was located just above the oblong hole...is this the correct location?

1931 Flamingo    -- 04-19-2024 @ 9:18 AM
  You could try BARNFIND08 on the FORDBARN. He might have what you're looking for.
Paul in CT

trjford8    -- 04-19-2024 @ 9:38 AM
  Most people replace that sleeve with a bearing. That sleeve centered the column on the upper part of the shaft. There is a retrofit bearing sold by most early V-8 parts dealers that replaces the sleeve and actually makes the steering easier.

v8fordman    -- 04-19-2024 @ 7:25 PM
  You may not want to press the new bearing or bushing down the tube as far as you say it was. Remember, this supports your steering shaft so the closer to the end of your tube, the better the support.

40 Coupe    -- 04-20-2024 @ 5:43 AM
  B-3533 is not necessary and can be removed and not replaced. There is a modern replacement for the upper bearing that can reduce friction and slightly help reduce steering effort.

BRL    -- 04-20-2024 @ 9:40 AM
  Hi Guys:
Thanks for the advice...I am going to powdercoat the steering tube the correct color and while it is being painted I can research the availability of a sleeve or just leaving it out as suggested.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=17014