Topic: Need Boot Cover for 1936 Phaeton

stelcher@gmail.com    -- 03-25-2024 @ 3:26 PM
  Having trouble finding a boot cover for my 1936 Phaeton. If anyone has an old one I could use as a model I will return it.

BRL    -- 03-26-2024 @ 10:31 AM
  Hi:
Sorry, I dont know who or where you can get a OEM boot or dust cover for your convertible top. Regardless of whether or not you are trying to make your boot as a OEM replication or not, your boot needs to be custom fitted to your car anyway...I seriously doubt any boots for this vintage car are interchangeable with an expectation of them fitting acceptably. Having said that, I agree it would be nice to have an OEM boot if you are trying to replicate the stitch lines, seams, etc for an authentic look. If nobody has an OEM old boot to loan you, you could ask for detailed photos and/or look at photos of cars for sale on the internet to see if there is a car with an OEM looking boot. If you do not get any help from this posting, you may reach out to EFV8 club 36 Phaeton owners by private message. The 1936 Body Parts book can tell you what the correct attaching hardware needs to be, and the 36 Ford Book may have some tech info on what the boot looks like. Have you exhausted finding anyone in your EFV8 regional club that can help?

I have a 37 Phaeton and am in the process of having a boot made as well...I bought the car with a fairly new replaced top and a new boot....the boot did not fit. Probably 50% of the 37 Phaetons do not even have a boot anymore and nobody knows what the OEM looked exactly like. My upholstery man said it needs to be a custom fit to look correct and fit snugly. He said that on this vintage car the boot and top have to be matched pairs in order to fit properly. Looking at lots of old photos and images on the internet I think I have an idea of what my boot needs to look like to appear correct.

Your car looks beautiful.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16964