Topic: confused about motor oil

41fatty    -- 03-15-2024 @ 10:12 AM
  fresh rebuild on a stock 59AB. Ready to start it. Don't ask what kind of break-in oil I got. Builder recommends run it 20min; let it cool-3 times; drain oil . It will come out like water. I've always used conventional 10-40 motor oil. i go to walmart these days and they only have synthetic or synthetic blends!Knowing I have no filter, I always change my oil every year or every 2000-2500miles max, i,m just looking looking for the safest, most convenient,yes cheapest oil I can find.

carcrazy    -- 03-15-2024 @ 1:38 PM
  For a fresh rebuild on a stock Flathead Ford V-8, I would use a conventional SAE 30 high detergent motor oil like Pennzoil along with Red Line Engine Oil Break-In Additive. Follow the instructions on the additive bottle for the correct amount to use with each oil change.

This is not the cheapest oil nor additive on the market, but it is essential to break the engine in properly for minimal valvetrain wear and longest engine life.

If you don't have an oil filter, change the oil every 1000 miles.

41fatty    -- 03-17-2024 @ 3:52 PM
  Why do some guys swear by synthetic oil in their flathead if it's expensive and it's just gonna be dumped in 1000 miles anyway?

41fatty    -- 03-17-2024 @ 3:56 PM
  You recommend red line additive even after initial break -in?

carcrazy    -- 03-17-2024 @ 5:15 PM
  41fatty,
Yes, half a bottle per oil change. The reason for this is to provide sufficient zinc and phosphorus to minimize wear between the sliding friction surfaces of the cam lobes and the tappets. Modern motor oils do not provide these anti-wear elements that our older flat tappet engines require. These elements were removed from modern oils because even trace amounts of ZDDP shortens the life of catalytic converters.

41fatty    -- 03-18-2024 @ 5:01 AM
  Even with new adjustable lifters?

carcrazy    -- 03-18-2024 @ 9:27 AM
  The new adjustable lifters are also of the flat tappet type so they also require ZDDP to minimize sliding friction wear.

Modern engines all feature either a roller tappet or a roller finger follower rocker arm (for OHC designs) which do not require the extra protection of ZDDP additives.

Be sure the adjustable tappets that you intend to use have a surface hardness that is compatible with the surface hardness of your camshaft lobes. If the tappets are not hard enough, they will wear extremely fast.

41fatty    -- 03-20-2024 @ 8:28 AM
  thank you . I certainly have noticed the quality of new Ford parts degenerating over the current generation.

Bertha    -- 03-21-2024 @ 9:41 AM
  We use this..https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QXWLY2Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"it's only original once"
---

Drbrown    -- 03-25-2024 @ 8:11 AM
  Not regarding break-in period oil ..... I have no filter on my '47 so change the oil every 1,000 miles or so and it comes out relatively clean. It doesn't burn oil between changes. I don't see conventional oils sold here any more ... could buy on-line but shipping would be expensive. When purchased my engine had sticky valves due to sitting so have been using four qts of conventional 10-30w Penn's oil with one qt MM oil and a little "Rislone Oil supplement with zinc" which quieted the engine.

same    -- 03-25-2024 @ 8:37 AM
  41fatty,in my '37flathead that iv'e had for 4 yrs witout filter i use 10w30 or 10w40 conven.motor oil from walmart,tractor supply.oreillys,still a number opf places that sell conv. every oil change i add 4oz. of lucas TB zinc plus. and i change every 1K mi. thats why use the cheapest conv. i can find. Tom.

TomO    -- 03-25-2024 @ 10:01 AM
  A 10w-30 high detergent oil is probably the best for your engine. The multi viscosity oils lubricate very well at all engine temperatures. Buy a brand name that has the API designation. This will ensure that the oil meets a minimum specification for lubrication. I don't buy into the ZDDP requirement. The valve springs in the flat heads have much less tension than the springs in the high performance engine that were have camshaft wear when the ZDDP was reduced..

The synthetic and synthetic blends do a better job of lubricating than conventional oils and I have started using Mobil One in my cars. I noticed a big improvement in engine performance on my Lincoln and have not driven the Mercury enough to give an opinion on using it in a flathead.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 04-11-2024 @ 1:01 PM
  Fords back in the day used oil with ZINC in it to protect flat tappet cams; one can still buy it; I use 20/500 racing oil with zinc. (in Florida)

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 04-13-2024 @ 7:41 AM
  Back in the day the oil used had ZINK in it. It's readily available most anyplace. The zink "protects a flat tappet cam;" which all flat head Fords have.

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 04-13-2024 @ 7:52 AM
  Use any brand you like, and any vicosity for the temperature you have where you are; but flat tappet cams;(all Ford Flatheads), require oil with Zinc in it to protect that cam!!

Regards, Steve Lee

sarahcecelia    -- 04-26-2024 @ 4:39 AM
  Just buy oil with ZINK in it! It's readily avialable; That's what a flat tappet cam; "FLAT HEAD MOTORS" need to prevent ruining the cam and/or lifters!!

Regards, Steve Lee

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16951