Topic: slow starter turnover

flatfoot    -- 12-19-2022 @ 8:58 AM
  I have a '36 Fordor touring sedan. My starter is slow to turn over and stops turning then goes and starts the car??? I have an original 6 volt system with a new 6 volt alternator. The battery is new and fully charged. The wires to the stater are also new and are 6 volt style. All wiring has been replaced with new original wire loom throughout the car. The starter switch has also been replaced with new. The starter is also 6 volt. It has a '37 motor flathead, only about 1500 miles. '39 transmission just overhauled.

Anybody got any ideas?

mzahorik    -- 12-19-2022 @ 10:19 AM
  Well, since you mention that the starter goes and stops. I'd check the starter for a bent shaft. A bent shaft will bind on the flywheel and then become free causing the various speeds. You did mention checking the ground paths. Mike

TomO    -- 12-19-2022 @ 10:27 AM
  Check out this topic for suggestions:

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=11212&keywords=voltage%20drop

Tom

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-22-2022 @ 8:56 AM
  hi flatfoot
take the starter out,and bench test it,use care, when doing this put your foot on it if on the floor, or a vise on the bench
take the tin cover off and inspect the commutator and brushes, for wear and dirty
if you need to get it rebuilt, I recommend CERTIFIED AUTO ELECRTIC in OHIO 6vto12v@gmail.com 440 439 1100
there is a lot more to the rebuild then you think,
they have a high torque armature
I had one done 3 years ago, works just fine,,,,
hope this helps 37Ragtopman''' Maine

CaliforniaBorn36    -- 12-24-2022 @ 9:16 AM
  You mention a lot of new items. Are the battery cables new and of sufficient size. If they are to small, and or corroded, (can get corrosion hidden within the cables), this can cause a lot of resistance. When I replaced the ground strap on my 36, it was like night and day.

carcrazy    -- 12-24-2022 @ 11:50 AM
  Are all of the ground paths good? My '53 had an additional ground wire which ran from the + post of the battery to one of the starter mounting bolts. The starter always spun at a fast pace and started the car.

brad.arcova@gmail.com    -- 01-13-2023 @ 1:38 PM
  Had this problem too. Did you know there are two ground straps? I didn't. There's one from the battery to the firewall and another from the firewall to the engine. The firewall/engine ground strap had been left off by the previous owner. Bought and installed a new one. Starts like a new car.

supereal    -- 01-18-2023 @ 9:26 AM
  Put a voltmeter between the terminal on the starter and ground and observe the reading when the starter button is pushed.
A low reading can indicate a dying battery, poor contact between the cable and the solenoid, or to the starter itself. Moving the input of the meter to the starter side of all connections can pinpoint where the loss is occurring when the starter button is pushed.

flatfoot    -- 03-04-2023 @ 11:28 AM
  I found I needed a better cranking battery(6 volt). In the process as I write this.

Thank you to all for your very expert help.

1931 Flamingo    -- 03-05-2023 @ 8:39 AM
  Couple of years ago I got a new starter from a reliable vendor. Armature was out of round.
Paul in CT

Grant    -- 03-06-2023 @ 3:22 AM
  Hi flatfoot!

We use a six volt Optima battery in our '36.

Works great. Very reliable. Always starts the car.

flatfoot    -- 03-14-2023 @ 6:47 PM
  The reason the starter was slow; It had oil leaked inside. I found the oil leak and repaired it and cleaned the starter and all is working great. Just to let all know the progress.

gmcbuffalo    -- 03-19-2023 @ 4:09 PM
  Tom I’m assuming your voltage drops are down from the resting battery voltage while trying to start engine?

I have tried to jump the starter off a stand alone 6 & 12 volt batteries and the start will not turn over. I I take it out of the car it runs like crazy. In the car it only barely turns over.
I’ve even tried jumping the solenoid and it will not turn over. It act like it wants to but just make a noise and stops.

My battery is grounded to the frame, so I assume I don’t need a firewall ground.

Greg Meiling
1935 3 Window Coupe

This message was edited by gmcbuffalo on 3-19-23 @ 4:14 PM

trjford8    -- 03-20-2023 @ 7:20 AM
  Add a ground strap from the firewall to the frame and a ground strap from the frame to the motor. That should solve your problem.

gmcbuffalo    -- 03-20-2023 @ 2:32 PM
  Thanks

Greg Meiling
1935 3 Window Coupe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16144