Topic: '36 Ford 4 dr touring sedan brakes

flatfoot    -- 11-28-2022 @ 2:22 PM
  I cannot get a pedal on my mechanical brake system. The shoes are new and drums turned and all the centrics are good for adjusting the system. The shop did the adjusting according to the book exactly, however, no pedal. The shaft that the pedals are attached to is like new. The other shaft may be the problem. This shaft which also acts when you apply the brake pedal seems to move. I can't find a picture of this shaft but it is near the brake pedal shaft as well. I am at a loss if this shaft needs bushings or what. Anybody with any pictures or advise, please, I'm open to all. I have been having this done going on months now. No one around here in Redding, CA that I know of could look at them and help. Anyone with ideas can call or write to me. I am in the book as Dale and Sharon Smith Redding, CA. (the brakes are adjusted on the wheels to near a point they only rotated when turned by hand. They are tight and still no pedal. The brake shoes came from Sacramento vintage, there are as the original shoes.

This message was edited by flatfoot on 11-28-22 @ 2:27 PM

coup    -- 11-28-2022 @ 6:13 PM
  I have had my 34 since 1950. Still have mech brakes. I look at it this way. Get all the slack out of the system.I pull the emergency brake to second click, and start adj rods. Sure wish I could help.

40 Coupe    -- 11-29-2022 @ 5:25 AM
  If the shop adjusted the brakes correctly then you should have a good brake pedal pressure. I am having a problem understanding your description. You seem to use terms that are not usually used to describe the different parts. Suggest you look in this V8 Club restoration book. There are reproduction manuals with the brake adjustment procedure. Plus the Ford Service bulletins are reproduced. The mechanical brake system need to have as much play in the mechanical pieces removed by replacing worn or damaged parts. Plus the brake system could have floaters which adjust differently than the original ford brakes.

carcrazy    -- 11-29-2022 @ 11:11 AM
  The problem may be within your brake drums. The wedges (P.N. 48-2050) may be worn to the point where they no longer supply sufficient force to your brake shoes. Your brake shoes may be worn at the contact points with the wedges or at the other end where they contact the Links (P.N. 48-2042). The brake linings may be too thin to contact the drums.
If the linings are too thin the shoes can be relined with thicker linings that can be ground down to properly fit within your drums.
If the wedges or links or worn, they can be replaced, same for the shoes. The shoes can also have the contact areas built up by welding or brazing additional material onto them.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16102