Topic: 1937 Ford spring shackles

mzahorik    -- 11-22-2022 @ 6:29 AM
  A year or so ago I replaced the front spring on my 1937 4 door. The shackles were bad and I replaced them. Removing them was hard, but installing the new ones without damage was harder. I made a pushing tool to get them in, but I still used 8 shackles to get 4 good ones in place. This winter I'm working on the rear axle and face the same problem with the rear shackles. What is the best method to install new spring shackles? Thanks, Mike

kubes40    -- 11-22-2022 @ 6:40 AM
  I'd suggest sourcing NOS pins. I do know that Mike Driskell had a bunch at one time.
The pins are oversize as they were designed and need to be. Guys that grind them down have rendered the pins useless in their designed capacity.
If you must use modern repop pins, check that they are actually round. The few I'd had around here were .003" or more out of round. Plus, the repop pins are typically much larger than .753".
The oversize should be .003". So, in your case, a ROUND .753".
Pressing round (NOS) pins into a spring is typically fairly easy as the end of the spring will expand a tiny amount.
Pressing pins into the axle housings is a bit more troublesome.
Freezing the pins will help albeit only a little.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

mzahorik    -- 11-22-2022 @ 6:53 AM
  You know I have tried heating to expand and freeze to contract metal, but most of the trouble comes when the shackles is half way in and all the heat or cold has been sucked off. The shackle pin becomes stuck and is difficult to remove or to completely install.
I like the idea of checking for size. Maybe the real solution would be to ream the hole a little to make for a better install. Thanks for the thoughts, Mike

3w2    -- 11-22-2022 @ 10:27 AM
  Do not ream the holes in either the spring or on the axle side beyond simple cleaning. It sounds like you lack the proper tools for the job. Find a fellow hobbyist who has the original K.R. Wilson special tool designed for removing and installing shackle studs and borrow it and you won't need to use heat to do the job. The original asbestos packed shackle studs are far too scarce to be wasting them by using eight of them for a job only requiring four. Shame on you.

kubes40    -- 11-22-2022 @ 2:09 PM
  I do run a lap through the holes to be certain there are no burrs.
As David had mentioned in a previous post, the proper KRW tool is nearly crucial to have.
You did mention you'd made some type of press. Does it mimic the KRW tool?

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16094