Topic: 1951 ford custom coupe front pinion bearing race

CWinegarner    -- 11-20-2022 @ 8:28 PM
  The front pinion bearing & race are both in rough condition .Can the bearing race be removed without dismantling the differential ? If it can be removed will it require a special tool ? Any comments will be appreciated.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-21-2022 @ 6:13 AM
  hope this helps. if my memory
you should be able to remove both axles, and then remove the pumpkin as a unit, it unbolts,
from there you should be able to remove the bearing, and inspect the rest of the bearing and wear elsewhere,
a MOTOR'S MANUAL would be of great help, or FORD SERVICE MANUALS
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman, Maine

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 11-21-22 @ 3:15 PM

flathead4rd    -- 11-21-2022 @ 1:03 PM
  I think you could drop the drive shaft, Remove the nut that holds the yoke in the rear end and remove everything from there. You should replace the seal at the same time. You will need a puller to remove the race from the housing. Once the new race, bearing and seal are installed, there is a special procedure to tighten the nut that holds the yoke in. Someone else on this site may have that information. I think it involves a specific torque. Also you could check with the guys on the thefordbarn.com for more specific information.

CWinegarner    -- 11-22-2022 @ 6:27 PM
  37ragtopman Thanks for your reply. I'll look for a Motors Manual before taking a wrench to the differential.

CWinegarner    -- 11-22-2022 @ 6:36 PM
  flathead4rd Thank you for your reply. I'll check with thefordbarn.com. I think this sounds possible.

This message was edited by CWinegarner on 11-22-22 @ 6:45 PM

trjford8    -- 11-23-2022 @ 7:57 AM
  I would pull the 3rd member as 37ragtopman suggests. If there are problems with the pinion bearing the other bearings may have problems also. It's also easier to work on the 3rd member when it is out on the bench.

CWinegarner    -- 11-25-2022 @ 7:00 AM
  trjford8 Thanks for your reply. I found a '49-'51 Ford Shop Manual. so lots of information at hand.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=16089