Topic: Question on VIN 1948 Ford

classic77    -- 08-18-2022 @ 6:32 PM
  Hi everyone
hoping someone might be able to help. I have a 1948 Ford super deluxe that i am looking to restore it does not have a VIN (that I can find) if I get a replacement VIN will this decrease the cars value?
Thanks!

1942deluxe    -- 08-18-2022 @ 7:14 PM
  If you pull the floorboard at the top of the transmission case there should be a serial (VIN) number. Also should be on the frame near the front crossmember on the drivers side. Transmission number will be fairly legible where the frame number will require some serious wire brush time. If you have to use a state assigned VIN in my mind it at least doesn't help the resale value.

This message was edited by 1942deluxe on 8-18-22 @ 7:16 PM

carcrazy    -- 08-18-2022 @ 8:27 PM
  Your VIN should be on the top of the driver's side frame rail. Don't get too aggressive with wire brushes or steel wool to uncover this number as you could easily remove it. These numbers were sometimes stamped very lightly into the frame. What works best for me is lacquer thinner to remove the paint, undercoating and grease that cover the number.

ford38v8    -- 08-18-2022 @ 8:42 PM
  Carcrazy has got it right. The previous advice is incorrect on all counts: First, it is the frame number that drives the title registration, as the transmission may have been replaced at some previous time. Second, light stamping and rust may make identification of the number more difficult, but wire brushes will destroy what is left of the number. Next, before you invest in the restoration, get it registered by that serial number, which may prove to have been registered to another vehicle. You sure don’t want someone claiming your restored car based on his registered number.

Alan

1942deluxe    -- 08-19-2022 @ 11:08 PM
  I should have been more specific in my response. I agree with the steps carcrazy mentioned. In my case there wasn't paint but rust and dirt on that section of the frame rail. I used a FINE wire brush and worked the area while soaking it with Kroil. Eventually the numbers started to show. The first number (1) was a bit sketchy but the rest of the numbers where readable. I confirmed the transmission number matched. Yours I think will start with an 899A. Van Pelts website gives the VIN ranges for 1948. In our state you are required to have a tracing of the VIN. If the transmission number matches the frame I think you'll get a much more legible tracing at the transmission. To give you an idea how light the frame stamping is one coat of spray paint completely covered it. Also agree you don't want to proceed on the restoration until you have a title.

supereal    -- 08-20-2022 @ 11:37 AM
  Most, if not all, states require the "serial number" on the title document. If you don't have the title proof, you may need a "bonded" title issued from the state. This prevents someone from claiming ownership of the vehicle when the title is disputed. This is important. One car I bought years ago had 5 liens on the vehicle. None could be located, so restoration was stalled until the ownership was made legally clear. Now, I never purchase a vehicle even if the "owner" swears it is his, and can provide verifiable paperwork.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=15883